Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NEW 635nm Orion-200

do you know how to connect a simple dvd diode laser? i saw a vid on youtube where a pot was used in a very simple circuit but the guy did not expliant wheather it was in series or parralell with the diode. im guessing series but i want to make sure and i would guess that the pot value would be that of the power supply. i would appreshiate any help offered thanks.

Milos

Finally, after all this time.... A 635nm high powered red !!!!
Man .. where have you been all this time?
Justin, can you give us some info on power of diode you are using, beam diameter and if you plan on releasing lower power models (lets say 50mW, 100mW, 150mW)

oh yeh.. we're waiting for some comparison pictures !! (200mW 660nm VS. 200mW 635nm !!!)
thanks man.

Benm

I would really like to see 3 or more units of the same power but different colors in the same shot... as that really gives the colors their true comparison in terms of what a camera can see... for example: 200mW 532nm, 200mW 660nm, 200mW 635nm. That way we can all judge.

I doubt that an ordinary camera would capture the difference as it appears to the eye very well. Especially the difference between 635 and 660 nm would not be very large to the average CCD digital camera, but to the eye the apparent difference at equal power is about 3 to 5 times. Still, the 532 nm green laser of equal power would appear about 3 times as bright as the 635 nm.

Camera's usually do not capture the difference in brightness between red frequencies very well because their color filter responses are quite different from the cones in our eyes. This is easily demonstrated as most digicams are well able to 'see' the 780 or 850 nm coming from an IR remote control, while this is hardly visible to any human.

Justin

Agreed... We took a few comparison shots but the impression on camera vs. to the naked eye is just not the same. I'll post once we get some better images but they may not show the actual apparent brightness. Anyone who has worked with 660nm vs. 635nm should be able to shed some light (haw-haw) on the actual perceived differences.

Justin said:
Agreed... We took a few comparison shots but the impression on camera vs. to the naked eye is just not the same. I'll post once we get some better images but they may not show the actual apparent brightness. Anyone who has worked with 660nm vs. 635nm should be able to shed some light (haw-haw) on the actual perceived differences.

Yes, the 635 is a lot brighter. But it's also a different color, at least slightly. 655+ nm is a deep saturated red. Compared side-by-side 635nm will appear a lot more orange, and a lot more dazzling, assuming equal power. 635 is more of a pink or a rose color.

Justin, the pointer looks lovely, but I wish it was single mode. I also agree with Milo - it would be nice to see some intermediate powers, like 50mW. 50mW @ 635 nm would be brighter than most 150-200 mW DVD reds.

655nm looks like a nice ruby red to me and 635nm looks like a red with a hint of ornange.

It is kinda hard to show here but if you can send me some pics, I wouldn't mine fixing them up for ya.

Milos

ttt for this unique laser. THE most visible RED hand held ever !!!

If I hadn't purchased my RPL this year I would have this baby on my #1 wish list.

.. maybe next year

Anyone got to review it yet?!

I'm drowning in my pool of drool already!!! ::)

If pics dont do it justice just send out some free samples to everyone, i'll return it, i promise!!! ;D

Kidding, but definately looking forward to some pics, even if they don't do it complete justice

-Dough

i'd be tempted, but not for that price! of course, i have no idea what it costs to make them, and i guess 635nm is probably more expensive than the more common 650-660, so this isn't criticism :) be nice to see some lower priced 635s though, perhaps less powerful ones.

ixfd64

I'm sorry for bumping this, but wouldn't this laser be multi-mode? (Currently, most 635 nm lasers that emit more than 40 mW are multi-mode diodes.) Assuming that this is the case, the "Orion-635-200" would not have the same beam specs as a regular "Orion-200" laser.

Milos

You are right,

and I'm for one glad you bumped this thread up ;D

..about time we see some promo shots of this baby.

Emc2

Well I went to the web page for the Orion laser and it states that the Nm is 660 not 635. Am I missing something, are you missing something? 635Nm would be awesome and very bright, but more expensive than $589.00 I believe.

-T

ixfd64

The details for the "Orion-635-200" are not publically available on the LaserGlow website. You have to contact Justin privately in order to buy one.

Justin

This is a special edition Orion with 635nm output. The regular Orions are 660nm, which is bright but nowhere near as good as the 635nm. Other beam specs are basically the same, and price is USD $1299.