Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 505nm Diodes! | newb help

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'm not going to reply to you anymore Paul. Your being extremely stupid and I don't have the patience to deal with it. Sorry

GSS

Use your brain for once Paul. The set screw can be shortened. Gee wiz
I think you missed something? The issue with a set screw is because this 505 diode is case positive. The module has to be isolated.
Any length set screw will still make contact from host to module.

If you did see that the diode is case positive do you think a very thin layer of anodizing will work? The threads on a anodized heatsink also might be bare of anodizing and even the set screw might scrape it out.

Last edited:
Even if the set screw isn't isolated from the heatsink, as long as the heatsink is isolated from the rest of the host it's possible (most if not all anodization is non-conductive and should act as a means of isolating). I do agree the risk of scrapes on the anodization is concerning... but moreso it would be on the connection from the heatsink to the rest of the host than with the set screw.

Doing this will pretty much limit the host selection to anodized drop-in heatsinks, such as the C6 on survivallaser. Rich may be able to do the same with his powder coatings, and the same concern would apply with scratches. Since this is a lower powered diode thermals shouldn't be too big of an issue either.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
A quick example of what I am talking about. As long as you don't scratch the heatsink it'll be fine

Example.png

GSS

I had your idea in mind..
As long as the anodizing is very good it just might work.
Also I think?? I have seen set screws with a plastic tip insert which would help. You don't need alot of pressure to hold in the module.

Why not use a non metallic flashlight housing with an aluminum heat sink and employ some common sense, keep your module/sink isolated, it's not difficult.

You don't need a lot of battery space or heat sink mass for single mode 505's

Imagine this with 3 x 505nm beams.......how amazing would that be ?

For testing purposes I have pre built rigs or you can use hot glue and stick a sink and current limiter to a battery pack, I made several like this for playing with some spinning mirrors while testing optics, runs for hours and cost very little to make, diode module can be used elsewhere later........point is you can make whatever you want, enjoy some Freedom and do something different. :)

Attachments

• SANY5715.JPG
    SANY5715.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

GSS

Pretty cool idea Red,
I see the black tube you always use to help with the beam splash:)

Last edited:
Hi,
I just read this tread and made me throw together a 505diode I have in stock to see if they are the older case Negs. And yes they are case neg .
Ok here is the number on theta of the can for the Case Neg 505nm diode SB147EQ91 . I did a quick build this morning after reading this tread This host holds 1X14500 and has an acrylic lens .
These diodes I have are Case Neg from long ago I just stashed them for a rainy day.
Rich:)
70C90299-5B34-4AF1-9D8E-6BAE0834620A.jpeg4527A6FE-1681-4803-AE74-654101A0FA59.jpeg0E08810B-94BC-4D5F-B303-1FA9680D4D74.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
I'm not going to reply to you anymore Paul. Your being extremely stupid and I don't have the patience to deal with it. Sorry
What's up with this dude? He comes right out being a dick to Paul out of nowhere and without reason then ends it like he's all out of patience and butthurt, while still managing to be a dick to Paul. He's like a 3rd grader that starts a fight with some kid he's picking on then runs to the principal like a little bitch.

Wakrah

There is history behind the words, that's why. I have plenty of it myself, two members won't come back because of my past behavior, perhaps more. That's why the red eyes, evil lurks there, just ask them.

What's up with this dude? He comes right out being a dick to Paul out of nowhere and without reason then ends it like he's all out of patience and butthurt, while still managing to be a dick to Paul. He's like a 3rd grader that starts a fight with some kid he's picking on then runs to the principal like a little bitch.
Some of this is because of my posts in the political thread. The rest is just because they are trolls. Good riddance to the ones that are gone.