Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 405nm laser diode. How do I focus?

Edi

Hey everyone. This is my first post on this site :yh:
I'm new with lasers and I'm still trying to figure most things out. I bought a 405nm 250mw laser diode and hooked it up.
New 250mW+ 405nm 6X High Power Blue-Violet Laser Diode - eBay (item 280649581262 end time Apr-24-11 04:17:48 PDT)
It works but it's horribly out of focus. :undecided: I read a few posts and figured out I probably need a lens. Will something like this work? :anyone:
405nm Coated Glass Collimating Lens /M8P0.5 Metal Frame | eBay
Coated Glass Lens 405nm Violet Blue Laser M9/P0.5 Frame - eBay (item 120611189174 end time Apr-16-11 07:31:11 PDT)

Hello and welcome.

What you call the 'horribly out of focused' beam is the raw unfocused beam of a bare laser diode. What you need to to is press the diode in a so called laser module, and then screw in one of those laser collimating lenses you've already found. Then after a bit of trying and focussing you'll have your laser done.

You have posted this in the wrong section. This is "Rules and Stickies" you would get more help if you posted in the correct section.

You have posted this in the wrong section. This is "Rules and Stickies" you would get more help if you posted in the correct section.
Perhaps he would get more help if you helped him :thinking:

What you have posted there is a lens to a laser module. You're on the right track here; that lens will definitely focus your laser to a nice point. However, you need a module that will both house the laser diode and affix the lens so it is adjustable. The most common of these is the Aixiz module, which comes with a lens. The stock lens is not suitable for 405nm wavelength diodes, as the transmission is very low (think 70-80%), so that is where your links come into play. To be store-neutral I can't tell you where to buy the module and the lens, but there is a wealth of links and topics on the forum that can help you out.

And one last thing: Do not to operate that laser without the module. The laser diode requires heatsinking, and consequently, it will overheat without some mass to draw the heat away.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your stay :yh: