Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 1W+ Blu-Ray Projector Build

Hello guys. I am new to building lasers and would like to build a high powered burning laser, which I am planning on mounting in some sort of extravagant host, which I'm still working on. I am planning to power it using a 7.4v Li-Po battery, which I already have some experience working with. I still need a heatsink. Here are the parts I have picked out so far:
Diode: 445nm 1.5-2W Blue Laser Diode W/ lens | eBay
Driver: Power LED's - simplest light with constant-current circuit
Lens: AR coated glass lens for 405-445nm [M0004] - $12.99 : Modwerx Shop
Focusing module: Laser focusing module for 5.6mm laser diodes (adjustable focus) [M0022] - $3.99 : Modwerx Shop

Thanks guys!

jeffd

Hey welcome to the forums. First of all a 445nm diode isnt considered blu-ray, so you are actually in the wrong section! There is a section dedicated to 445nm, you should check out that area. Also a projector is used for laser shows and scaning, I think the word you ment to use is pointer. The laser pro shop and bst section has some great hosts and heatsinks, I would reccoment getting one there.

My bad! About the projector diode, I meant that it was taken from a projector. It will be used to make a laser pointer. I don't need a host, since it will be mounted in a custom body, but I do need a way to dissipate the heat.
I'm currently looking through the pro shops for a good, small heatsink. I haven't figured out whether blu-ray or blue diodes have more burning power, which is what I'm going for. I am still looking for a premade driver, but so far none seem to support 7.4v batteries, so it looks like making my own is the only way to go.

Last edited:

rhd

Damn i seen 1 watt bluray and almost wet myself :oops:

Ditto.

OP - you forgot one thing, safety glasses.

Once you purchase those, you'll get a +1 from me. Not for the glasses, but for the innovative choice of drivers!

FYI I have those same lenses for $7.50.. I'll beat their price on an aixiz module as well too. heh.

For safety glasses I'll be using the ones in DTRs shop for 445nm. I will update the parts list soon. Do any of you know of a good heatsink for this module? I don't understand which one to pick. It won't have to fit a certain host, since it will be going into a special project.

I can help with the heatsink too. It just depends on what you want.

If it's not for a portable you can always go with something like this. I still have probably about 10 of these heatsinks left. They even come with the fan. :D

100_0409.jpg

100_0440.jpg

100_0437.jpg

Last edited:

set

I haven't figured out whether blu-ray or blue diodes have more burning power, which is what I'm going for.

As far as I know, for the same power 405nm (violet/blu-ray) is slightly better at burning than 445nm (blue) as it is better absorbed by more materials. Also since blu-ray diodes are single mode they can be focused to a smaller point and the beam will have a lower divergance for burning at distance.

But since 445nm diodes can be pushed to 2-3 times the power of a 12x blu-ray, I guess the 445nm would be better at burning if driven at these levels.

For simplicity sake
Just go to DTRs for sale thread in this forum and you can get the Diode, Lens, and focusing module at once. A driver too...

They don't have the best prices and their driver won't use a high power battery. Plus, with the voltage/current driver, I would be able to use capacitors for a high power pulse.

Who doesn't have the best prices? And what drivers are you talking about? Also, capacitors are typically used as filters.. not power sources. At least not for laser diodes. If your planning to dump a fairly large cap into a LD.. you'd better stock up on laser diodes... Your going to need them.