Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Never success in tapping holes

I have a manual tapping wrench and a cord drill.
I tried but in both times the tap goes in pretty easlily and turns a couple of times, bu after about 2 - 3 mm deep, the tap becomes stuck. Im wondering what im doing wrong?

Maybe some oil would help? I didnt use that before with tapping but it always get stuck at desame place. Im drilling holes in 10mm thick aluminium wich isnt a problem, but the problem is tapping like i said.

Anyone help or have a idea what i can do to improve tapping holes?

no - i do not want to get a big ass heavy drill that has its own workspace ect.
I want to leave it with portable. i know some guys can do it without problems...i want to know how they can^^

What diameter hole? Oil would be good.

M3 and M4 holes. never M5 or M2.
i'l try with oil tommorow then....but it just seems it likes to get stuck over there when its 2mm deep or so:(

EDIT: thanks blord i didnt know about "blind holes" :)

Last edited:

sinner

From what i understand is that you are tapping a 10mm thick hole, with M3 or M4 a 0.5mm pitch ?

1. Make sure you drill 1mm smaller hole before threading them.
2. Match your required thread size with the tap size.
3. Use oil occasionally and also intsead of tapping all in, tap 1-2 threads at a time and then reverse thread to create a clear thread route, gradually increase the threads depends on how many you want.
I might not be clear on the language but feel free to ask.

Last edited:
1. How sharp is the tap? dull tapes hate aluminum, especially if its a softer alloy. there are special taps for aluminum that work wonders. an aluminum-specific cutting fluid also does wonders.

2. make darn sure you are using the proper sized hole to begin with.

3. Its very easy to run a tap in a hole crocked. get a square and make sure its perfectly straight. if its off axis a bit, it will go in a few turns just fine and then will completely jam up.

Here is a link to a drill and tap chart: Tap Drill Sizes

Here is a great place to buy taps from. I dont know if they ship to the Netherlands or not, but its a great place to just look around if not. McMaster-Carr

BTW, feel lucky you don't have to tap stainless steel. it sucks!

EDIT Make sure the chips aren't causing the tap to bind up. M3 (.118") and M4 (.157") taps are pretty darn small and hard to work with.

Last edited:
When I tap aluminum , I use w-d40 to help keep the threads of the finer taps clean.
And as stated above, only turn the tap about half a turn, then back it out to clear chips.
It's a slow process, but you will get clean smooth threads.