Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need some guidance please!!!

Hey guys new to the forum and lasers!!! I.habe been.wanting to build a burning laser for years. I finally ordered what i think is a good start. I ordered a lg 16x gh50n dvd burner to get the laser from, a 20-300 ma driver board and the aixiz 780nm laser module with adjustable lens to put my diode into. I have no clue how to make this work perfectly however. I want it to work for a long time but also want it hot and real fun! Any advice would be appreciated

Well you seem to be on a decent start. I've never built a laser personally but I did a bit of research and you should be able to set your driver to 300 mA without damaging the diode and get at least 200 mW of power which is good for doing the usual laser burning tasks.

As to it lasting a long time, laser diodes generally last 5000 hours, so if its new or used will affect how long it lasts for you. Another thing to keep in mind is keeping the diode cool. Having a heatsink to draw heat away from the diode and making sure to not run the laser too long will help your laser last much longer.

Does anyone know about the diodes themselves? Im very anxious.. do you think the unit i bought will have a good laser in it? I hear sometimes they can have square lasers in them instead of the round ones?

Does anyone know about the diodes themselves? Im very anxious.. do you think the unit i bought will have a good laser in it? I hear sometimes they can have square lasers in them instead of the round ones?

Hey weav,

Actually it dosen't depend on the "quality" of the laser. Some wavelength have "square" dots while others have circles, it all depends on the wavelength :beer:

For example, 445nm and 635nm have a square dot.

I didnt know that but good to know thanks. I am talking abut the physical characteristics of the unit itself.

780 is the diode that comes in the housing. Im taking that out and putting in the one from the dvd burner.

I'm going to say the 780 bit confused me. Why not buy an empty aiXiZ module? As for the lasers inside the unit a 16x could easily take 200mA. Are you sure the diode in the drive will fit in the 780 aiXiZ module you bought?

No im not lol. I have no clue what im doing? I figured they were all the same haha im prob wrong i take it? I bout that one cause its the only one i could find on ebay.

You'll learn, heck, I'm still learning. Check out DTR's site he's got a lot of the stuff you'll need to get started. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home

I noticed you didn't say what host you are putting it into. And you are planning on getting safety goggles right?

And i guess the 780nm 25mw laser itself would b a nice laser to play with by itself?

Im planning on putting it in a flashlight. I am going to see what all i habe to cram in there and buy the appropriate one. I wasnt planning on glasses. Do i need them if i dont point it into my eyes?

Honesty, not really, You'll barely see anything, 25mW isn't enought to burn, but it's enough to blind. Just because you can't see the 780 doesn't mean it won't blind you.

...Okay, you CAN see 780 but you'll only see somewhere around 1/10000th of the actual light being emitted. (Completely made up number but you get my point)

So i may have wasted my money on it. Lol o well. If my dvd burner laser doesnt fit ill have to find one that will!

You will ABSOLUTELY need glasses for burning. Just because you don't plan on hitting your eye doesn't mean it won't happen. And when burning you are working close to the material just the reflection alone can cause damage.

Lets say you are using the laser, set it on the table to adjust whatever you are burning, it rolls off and as you reach for it BAM. It's far too risky. You only get 2 eyes.

To be honest, as long as your diode will fit in an aiXiZ module you can put it in just about anything you want. Take a look around the pro shops a lot of the guys here have kits. Survival lasers also has hosts available.

Last edited: