Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need some Advice - 200mW O-like

up2u

Yea so i FINALLY received my 200mW Waterproof 0-Like red pointer.

And ehh, I expected it to be a bit more powerful.

It can cut the tiniest black plastic with full focus but its hard and slow.

I then noticed the battery is a 2400mAh
How much more power, If it would actually give more, Could i get from a 3000mAh?

Short answer is milliamps per hours (mAh)

You'll just get longer cycles with more mAh

That is all I know.

Last edited:

up2u

I know what mAh is but i was wondering if besides longer lasting battery's it will also give more power.

And if i do need more power, i suppose i need Volts then?

I know what mAh is but i was wondering if besides longer lasting battery's it will also give more power.

And if i do need more power, i suppose i need Volts then?

Well.. i have limited knowledge and I'm not even sure if it's right so don't quote me on it...

but your diode is set to receive a certain amount of current / volts..

turning the pot is not reccomended on a laser like that anyway.

if you increase the amount of volts by changing the batteries your resistor will probably not handle it and fry out.

Or your diode might..

I'm not sure.. anyone clean that up for me^^

Here is link to one of my earlier mishaps... http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/xbox-360-control-explode-67489.html

Although the intention wasn't to gain more power I fried because it couldnt handle the power coming in.

Last edited:
mAh refers to milliampere-hour which has to do with how long the battery will last, not how much it is putting out.

A charged lion battery should be putting out between 3.0 and 4.2v...

To answer the original question:

Getting a battery with higher mAh will not do anything to boost output, but will allow your laser to be used longer before recharging the battery.

The best thing you can do is buy a multimeter and make sure that your battery is fully charged.

For burning, also make sure that you are properly focusing the beam and trying to burn at the focal point. I can't get 300mW reds to burn anything at all at 300mW.

Last edited:
For burning, also make sure that you are properly focusing the beam and trying to burn at the focal point. I can't get 300mW reds to burn anything at all at 300mW.[/QUOTE]

My o-like "cute" 280mw 650nm burns pretty effectively, although there was a review that claimed they fairly over-speced(around 310ish)dont have a LPM. But i digress, when the focal point changes colors, reds get white-ish, greens get red-ish, violets make every ambient altered surface glow florescent, you should be able to burn with any wavelength w/ over 120mw, as long as the target is black, or the light opposite of the wavelength used (ex. green light-> red object) and at the proper distance

I was referring to burning with a 300mW 660nm when focused to infinity, as that's what I assume the OP meant by "full focus".

Focused of course 300mW will burn, and burn quite well imo:eg: