Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need input on this host

MA257

This is my first built heatsink for my 1.2w laser. Its a aluminium alloy thermal pasted on a copper heatsink alloy. After i already burned out 1 laser i'm assuming this should do the job.

If not any concerns or further recommendations? :thanks:

DSCN0882.jpg

Helios

What did you use for paste?

There is plenty of mass but not much thermal contact. (only three points around the module)

If you filled the gaps with thermal epoxy or compound it would work better.

Or if you want I can make you a simple heatsink with a 12mm hole some fins and a set screw for like $15 shipped CONUS.

Last edited:

alf638

That should be okay for short runs but only around a minute. As helios said adding thermal compoud in the gaps would help. Also you could try one of these , I have one lasing away at about 1.2 W with no problems using a duty cycle of around 3-4 minutes on and about 1 off.

MA257

What did you use for paste?

I guess i used a 20% metal oxide paste meant for CPU's and i will fill those gaps once the paste i put on kind of gets less runny.

But i bo have this big sucker for other purposes or scrap :whistle:

DSCN0883.jpg

SLPbum

Dude you got my mind racing right now with thoughts of things Id do to that...

rhd

Helios:
How much would you charge to create heatsinks that are basically just a tiny/rough cube of aluminum, not much larger than the diameter of an aixiz module itself, with the aixiz hole drilled through it?
I'd love to find 5 or 6 such heatsinks that I could use when tinkering with dichros and mirrors, etc.

SLPbum

Kicking my self right now too.. Thats what I used to do to for a living, building computers.
Cannot believe I overlooked that...
TY for that..

SEEK AND DESTROY!! old computers are the motherload of heatsink heaven :beer:

JLSE

You'd be better off removing the aluminum between the module and copper.
Its defeating the benefit of using copper. I would use the copper to draw
the heat off the module and then the aluminum as the heatsink.

Copper will draw the heat off the module much faster. Some arctic silver
will bond that on well, just put some scratches in both the module and
copper. If its left smooth, theres nothing to grab on to..:beer:

Helios

Helios:
How much would you charge to create heatsinks that are basically just a tiny/rough cube of aluminum, not much larger than the diameter of an aixiz module itself, with the aixiz hole drilled through it?
I'd love to find 5 or 6 such heatsinks that I could use when tinkering with dichros and mirrors, etc.

I would have to buy some square bar but depending on size and quantity probably $6-8 or so a piece