Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need input on host ideas

Philipnzw

Hey folks, a newbie here. Need someone to help check if my ideas are valid.

I have 2 host build ideas and I need someone to "fact check" if i have got things right.

First build is a small 10440 cell host. It is a 12mm*87mm stainless steel host. The main problem i have with this host is of course it's tiny size. As it most probably could not even fit a standard 12mm laser module in it. To make this work, i think i could find a way to sand down the heatsink to 11mm or lesser (until it fits). However given the extremely small size i think any laser built with this host will have a terribly short duty cycle in order to keep the lifespan of the laser longer. I want to try to jam a 200mW 650nm laser into this host, do you guys think it's okay?

For better thermals, i think i would just get a generic 12mm screw-on heatsink to dissipate the waste heat. However that's gonna be very ugly but i'm fine with that.
Link to product:

The flashlight host.

The tiny driver pill.

Besides that, can someone help me check if this is similar enough to a generic c6 host? Can i use a 17mm driver or should i just bypass the stock driver and use a rectangular shaped driver?
Link to product (18650):

I've also found a 14500 sized version of the same host, but obviously they are a tad smaller.
Link to product (14500):

18650 version:
TB2jpIriVXXXXbgXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!767446270.jpg

The body dimensions are as shown above (in the 3rd row)
TB2XND8iVXXXXbAXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!767446270.jpg

The only pic they provide that shows the insides.

14500 version:
TB2aAsNkFXXXXX3XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!767446270.jpg

This one is shorter and also smaller in diameter.
TB23LpakVXXXXXVXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!767446270.jpg

Contact point has no spring.

So as stated in my Intro post, i am still relatively new to lasers and learning a bit more day by day (still have to find a way to get heatsinks locally). Therefore i felt like i could use some input on my ideas before i start.

PS: Are there any prominent/active members from Malaysia/Singapore that i could get in touch with?
Sure seems like there aren't many laser hobbyist in Malaysia :(

Attachments

• slim 10440 host.jpg
    slim 10440 host.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
  • the driver pill.jpg
    the driver pill.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hi bud,i can help you a bit .hahah
about 10440 host,i think i can make a small heatsink to accept diode and driver,but it ís hard when you build laser,module 200mw 650nm you show me have 20mm driver,so not enough space ,so you need a smaller driver,flex or same
and about 14500 host,it can't accept 17mm driver
Pm to my FB anytime bros

Philipnzw

Hi bud,i can help you a bit .hahah
about 10440 host,i think i can make a small heatsink to accept diode and driver,but it ís hard when you build laser,module 200mw 650nm you show me have 20mm driver,so not enough space ,so you need a smaller driver,flex or same
and about 14500 host,it can't accept 17mm driver
Pm to my FB anytime bros

thanks dude, i'll grab some hosts and measure their dimensions if i ever plan to build more lasers.