Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Help!

I'm interested in the 30 mw green laser. Any ideas on how to get one less than $50 not including shipping to the US.

diachi

www.dealextreme.com You should get one of the Romisen green lasers they are all really good . Unless you are in the USA then you can't get one :-/

-Adam

Hmm. The site gives this whole article about them being illegal in the U.S. and if you currently live here then you can't have one! R u saying that I can still order it in the U.S. but just don't get caught?

yea you can order, and they will ship it,

you won't get into trouble, but if customs somehow finds it along the way you just won't get your package......
rarely happens though

^Mostly true.

To the OP:
Typically, if the package gets caught entering the US, they just confiscate the laser.  However, according to the law, by importing the laser you are committing the crime of smuggling, which is a felony.  I have never heard of anyone getting more than the laser confiscated, but the government would be perfectly within the law to arrest, fine, and imprison anyone doing this.  Just because it has never happened doesn't mean it can't happen.

Again, that's never happened that I know of, and importing one laser is clearly just one for you and would probably not be considered a crime on the level of importing 1000 of the things.  But to make informed decisions, you have to be informed.  So now you know more about it, and you can go look up all the laws on your own and decide if you want to risk breaking them.  It's up to you.

ETA: Also, remember that there are lasers that are perfectly legal to import into the US. Those lasers must be FDA approved, and probably cost more than $50, and probably won't be pen-sized, but they are perfectly-legal IIIb lasers. So you can always go that route.

S

skylasers.net

In general, the FDA governs the legality of lasers and laser pointers in the United States.  In order for a laser pointer above 5mW to be legal, it must contain specific safety features and must be sent to the FDA for approval.  In return, the FDA will assign the product an accession number for the legal importation of these products into the US.  

For lasers that are not approved by the FDA, there is a chance your laser will get confiscated by the US customs. On a personal note, I would stick with something that is FDA approved and legally imported.  They are slightly more expensive but at least you feel safe at heart. ;)