Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with Viridian c5 gun laser sight

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here but I've had a couple of guys build me some stuff on here and have always been into lasers. Well, last week I bought a c5 for my sub compact xd-9. It looks awesome, but the laser (green) is only 5mw. I would assume there would be a pot on it, but I was wondering if anyone A. has had any experience adjusting the pot on these or other sights or B. knows if it would be possible to transfer a more powerful laster into this unit. I am considering buying a second one to experiment with and maybe drop a blu-ray into it.

I dont know how much modifcations can be done because of the shock they endure, however at the same time, I'm not one that shoots my gun several times a week. It's more of a novelty of combining two things I love. Here is a picture of the sight on the gun. If anyone has any ideas or would be willing to take on a project like this please let me know
Thanks!
180412_727329459154_38305646_38907451_8164116_n.jpg

I had this idea as well but the price tag of the Viridian sight steered me away. The problem with finding someone to do this is the risk involved. If they mess up then you've got to decide who pays $200 to replace it.
I would expect that this $200 5mW green laser should be capable of more, but who knows. You'd have to check if there is a pot on the driver. You also don't want to overdrive the IR diode as I assume that thing doesn't have much heat sinking.

Tonga

5mW of green is fairly bright are you sure you want to mess with it? This is a very nice piece of gear by the way! Also it's just my opinion but I would think a blue diode like 445nm would be fairly robust and maybe more so than a green since it doesn't have the crystal arrangement of the green. Moh and some of the other senior members would be more able to properly guide you here than I though.
One of my sons also would like to use a 445 for this app too, we just haven't tried it yet. Good luck.

I was thinking about getting one of these for my M&P 9mm. $200 is a lot of money for a laser sight though. The Veridian is especially nice because of its windage and elevation adjustment capabilities, and this is also why it costs so much. It is likely an intricate mechanism.

It certainly does have a pot. It may in fact have two drivers with pots on each. One for continuous mode and one for the pulsed modes. The problem with adjusting them is not wether or not you can turn the pot and raise the output, but rather with reassembling it properly afterwards so the windage and elevation mechanics still work.

I personally would leave it the way it is. When you consider a real shooting scenario, a green laser will give away your position. All your enemy has to do is aim 2 inches above your laser, and he will shoot you in the head. Raising the output on your laser will only make this scenario worse for you.

Also if you do decide to go through with this modification, I recommend using a laser power meter and not pushing it beyond 15-20mW. Any more than that will greatly shorten the life of the laser, if not kill it.

Nice purchase by the way. It looks better on your XD than it does on the Veridian website.

Steve