Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with sanwu pocket lens

Fcao

I'm having some difficulty with a sanwu pocket laser that I just bought. This is my first high powered laser pointer so I'm a little confused in regards to changing the lens. The lens that came with the laser is the 3 element lens. I bought a g7 lens to switch out the 3 element. My problem is that I don't think the 3 element lens came out all the way. I think part of its holder broke off inside the lens cap. As of right now, the g7 lens cannot screw into the lens cap because the threads are too big. I didn't force the 3 element to unscrew or use much force, so I'm not sure how it would break off. Can anyone confirm this for me? If the 3 element lens did break, can I only contact sanwu to send a new lens cap? Also, can anyone tell me what order the 3 element lens would go back together? I doubt I'll be able to, but I figured I'd ask. Pictures are below.

Edit: I put the laser back together and I'm thinking the 3 element didn't break because the part that screws in sits below the rim inside the lens cap. Is the g7 lens holder just too big for some reason?

Last edited:

You probably didn’t break anything. When you went to unscrew the lens, you only unscrewed the spanner nut holding the compound lens set inside its package.
What’s remaining in the focus cap is the empty lens barrel. Find a tool to carefully unscrew it from the cap. Then, You’ll be able to screw in your G7 in its place. Don’t mar the threading though.
To reassemble your 3E lens:
The two element lens drops in first; the most convex side faces forward (aperture). There’s a little teetering involved sometimes to get the lens to go in straight (thin tweezers).
Then drop in the ring spacer. The single element goes in last with the conVEX side facing the diode. Lastly, screw in the spanner nut. Do Not torque it hard, you’ll shatter the glass. Just touching and holding the lens set.
SGD🍻

Fcao

I appreciate the reply. How big is the lens barrel that I'm supposed to unscrew? I tried to see if anything would unscrew for a while with a few different tools and nothing budges. The spanner nut screws in below the rim of that piece inside the focus cap. Maybe I'm not clear on what exactly to unscrew. I tried sticking a plastic tool in the middle and applying torque, tried gripping the center piece with fine tweezers to turn it, tried using my finger, and tried turning it with a paper towel between my finger and the metal. I'm feeling like that piece is supposed to be fixed in place. I did manage to get the laser back together earlier, so that part is no longer a problem. But I still can't find a way to insert the other lenses.

I needed needle nose pliers to get mine out. Grip the edge of the barrel from the inside and twist it out just like a normal screw (ccw).

Fcao

I needed needle nose pliers to get mine out. Grip the edge of the barrel from the inside and twist it out just like a normal screw (ccw).

I tried, but didn't know what I was doing so I stopped to avoid stripping it. I'll give it another try. How far down can I grip it with the pliers? Am I going to accidentally grab something that is fixed in place?

If you want to re assemble the 3-element lens you will have to be careful. If you dont mind ruining the 3-element barrel, I would just grip the edge as deep as you can and twist it out. There is nothing you can grab in there that will be damaged. You may need to use some teflon tape on the new lens to keep it secured when it is threaded into the lens holder.

You may not be aware of this but you can order any laser from Sanwu with most any lens you want. You don't have a tear apart a brand new laser you just bought. I ordered my Silver Series with a G8 lens. Just type "G7 lens" in the notes section where you order your laser

You may not be aware of this but you can order any laser from Sanwu with most any lens you want. You don't have a tear apart a brand new laser you just bought. I ordered my Silver Series with a G8 lens. Just type "G7 lens" in the notes section where you order your laser
I did this and I still got the 3 element lens. Maybe they didnt read the note correctly for me. Thau told me that they don't ship the pocket series with anything but 3 element.

Fcao

I had no idea I could do request a certain lens to be installed. However, I originally wanted all 3 lenses. I cared the least for the 3 element, so it's best that was the one I broke.

I finally removed all of the 3 element lens from the focus cap, but it obviously got damaged in the process. I really appreciate the help. Even with pliers that thing did not want to come out. After some fiddling around, I was able to properly insert the g7 lens and focus it. However, I'm still having a problem with the g2 lens. I can't seem to focus it at all. I have tried inserting it into the focus cap in both directions and various depths while also adjusting the focus cap up and down, but nothing seems to work. I'll attach a picture of the laser with the g2 lens as focused as I could get it. Any suggestions?

I had no idea I could do request a certain lens to be installed. However, I originally wanted all 3 lenses. I cared the least for the 3 element, so it's best that was the one I broke.

I finally removed all of the 3 element lens from the focus cap, but it obviously got damaged in the process. I really appreciate the help. Even with pliers that thing did not want to come out. After some fiddling around, I was able to properly insert the g7 lens and focus it. However, I'm still having a problem with the g2 lens. I can't seem to focus it at all. I have tried inserting it into the focus cap in both directions and various depths while also adjusting the focus cap up and down, but nothing seems to work. I'll attach a picture of the laser with the g2 lens as focused as I could get it. Any suggestions?

The g2 lens needs to be realy close to the laser diode window. Make sure the side with the lens visible is facing toward the diode. Make sure the lens holder is only screwed into the focus adapter (the silver part that you can rotate when the laser is assembled) a small amount.

Fcao

The g2 lens needs to be realy close to the laser diode window. Make sure the side with the lens visible is facing toward the diode. Make sure the lens holder is only screwed into the focus adapter (the silver part that you can rotate when the laser is assembled) a small amount.

I just tried again and I'm having the same issue. I screwed the lens in just enough to hold it in place and tried both directions. I don't know what the issue is or why the g7 works but not the g2. Thanks though.

I just tried again and I'm having the same issue. I screwed the lens in just enough to hold it in place and tried both directions. I don't know what the issue is or why the g7 works but not the g2. Thanks though.
The only thing I can think of is that the lens is in backwards. The side of the lrnd holder that has the lens at the end (the other side will be hollow) needs to face the diode. I would contact Sanwu if there are still issues.