Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with identifying host and more - Solved!

While here in China on business I picked up a couple of "not so cheap" handhelds. One was advertised as a 405nm/500mW and the other as a 445nm/1000mW. The reason I say "not so cheap" is they were a lot more expensive to buy in-country than you can get them for when having them shipped to the US. Attached are some cropped pics I took with my cellphone camera.

http://laserpointerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40328&stc=1&d=1355731461

http://laserpointerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40329&stc=1&d=1355731461

The lasers work just fine, but they are set way too hot for my liking. I like to run my diodes within ratings for good life. I have been unable to identify the model of the host these are in so I can look for more information on how to remove the module assembly.

http://laserpointerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40331&stc=1&d=1355731461

There are no threads visible from the head end with the lens assembly removed.

http://laserpointerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40330&stc=1&d=1355731461

I would like to remove the modules from these with as little damage as possible. I'm extremely limited for tools, as all of my normal tools for working with lasers are back at my shop in the US. Has anyone had any experience with any handhelds using these hosts?

I would appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.

Bob

Edited to add: Problem solved, the handhelds have been disassembled.

Attachments

• C1b.jpg
    C1b.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 249
  • C2b.jpg
    C2b.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 216
  • C3b.jpg
    C3b.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 551
  • C4b.jpg
    C4b.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

Re: Need help with identifying host and more

I think I took apart something very similar once. That is to say, same internal constructions.

Basically the heatsink (brass one, diode's) is pressed into the barrel butt-first.

You need to have some sort of tool like a thin but very strong screw driver, and push it against the butt of the heatsink (near the diode and avoiding the driver) and firmly tap it with a hammer while host is upside down. Reposition it on opposite side of sink and repeat.

After some repeats it SHOULD start progressing towards the end of the barrel where the diode is pointing.

The driver is soldered directly on diode I think, so taking out the entire sink will give you access.

Pressing back would also be a bit of an issue, depending on your tools available.

I think I took apart something very similar once. That is to say, same internal constructions.

Basically the heatsink (brass one, diode's) is pressed into the barrel butt-first.

You need to have some sort of tool like a thin but very strong screw driver, and push it against the butt of the heatsink (near the diode and avoiding the driver) and firmly tap it with a hammer while host is upside down. Reposition it on opposite side of sink and repeat.

After some repeats it SHOULD start progressing towards the end of the barrel where the diode is pointing.

The driver is soldered directly on diode I think, so taking out the entire sink will give you access.

Pressing back would also be a bit of an issue, depending on your tools available.

Thank you! They were in there solid but being patient did the trick. The threaded looking section turned out to be nothing more than tooling lines from them turning that end of the barrel on the inside a bit to better clear the brass heatsink. The drivers and the backs of the heatsinks are coated with a flexible grey sealant, will have to deal with that later to get at the driver PCBs to adjust the current. Getting them back in will be childs play compared to getting them out.

Bob

Edited to add: Forgot to mention, one of the drivers had a battery spring that was loose. Once the module was removed, I could see the only thing holding it on was a little dab of sealant, no solder at all. That was on the 445nm/1000mW unit. I did notice it flickered a few times during use, thought it was just a dirty battery terminal. Now I know why!

Last edited:

So you managed to get it out successfuly?

Post pictures!

:beer:

I have one of these hosts, It was rather annoying to work with.

Post pictures!

So you managed to get it out successfuly?

Post pictures!

:beer:

I would upload them if I had them. I didn't take any pics of the modules in my rush to get packed, will have to do that in a few days. I have to fly out to Shenzhen in southern China in a few hours. For those unfamiliar, the Shenzhen area is where the majority of laser products are sold, and many chinese products are made. I have to visit a factory there today before heading over to Hong Kong. I'll try to see if I have time to drop by the Bob Lasers factory in Shenzhen for a quick visit today. I hope to get some pics from my cellphone at least.

Bob

Well, we will certanly be waiting for THOSE pictures!

Have fun man!

Well, we will certanly be waiting for THOSE pictures!

Have fun man!
Well, that didn't pan out either. My boring biz partner had our agenda all planned out, so never got to see Bob Laser. I suggested it at least half a dozen times while we were enroute ;-)

Good news is I'm back in the US now. I divided the bits and pieces of those dismantled handhelds amongst my bags, just in case. Will probably use the diodes/drivers to build some labbies and toss some lower powered diodes/drivers into those heatsinks/hosts.

Will get some pics of the heatsinks/drivers when I finally get back home. Will have to upload them when I get to a broadband zone. I'm still travelling.

Bob

Attachments

• U1b.jpg
    U1b.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 244
  • U2b.jpg
    U2b.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 266
  • U3b.jpg
    U3b.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 231
  • U4b.jpg
    U4b.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 127
  • U5b.jpg
    U5b.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 221
  • U6b.jpg
    U6b.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 213
  • U7b.jpg
    U7b.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 245

Holy shit, is this Bob Boyce? The Bob Boyce who used to come on Laserchat all the time?

Judging by how he pulled off a difficult disassembly using only my vague instructions and limited access to tools...

I'd say yeah :D

Laser module looks good. That glue stuff should come off easily if it's anything like the other thermal stuff I've seen.

Holy shit, is this Bob Boyce? The Bob Boyce who used to come on Laserchat all the time?

One and the same. I stopped posting and removed most of my content after that TOS change that I could not agree to. Some of that I now wish that I had left up, as it was good info that I had no intent on using for a marketed product anyways. I guess it was just the matter of principle at the time.

I'm still continuing my research, using lasers for some of that. And I still have my multi-hundred watt CW and multi-KW watt pulsed lasers, though I don't have as much opportunity to blast things these days ;-)

Bob

Judging by how he pulled off a difficult disassembly using only my vague instructions and limited access to tools...

I'd say yeah :D

Laser module looks good. That glue stuff should come off easily if it's anything like the other thermal stuff I've seen.

Yea, back home here in my shop I have all the tools I need, could have pressed the modules out in a few minutes. At the time, I had limited light and even more limited tools at my disposal. I didn't want to risk trying to remove them wrong and ruin something.

on one of them I can see the edge of a potentiometer poking through that sealant, probably the current adjust pot. I did hook it to my lab supply set for 7.4V and it was drawing 1.2 amps. Have not tried measuring optical output yet.

I ordered a PL TB450 450nm/1.4W CW rated laser diode along with a lot of other goodies before I left China. Hope it all gets delivered soon. I wanna build 3 new labbies for my bench.

Bob

Hello Bob,
I remember you in chat :) some interesting conversations.
Welcome back and Merry Christmas!

Hello Bob,
I remember you in chat :) some interesting conversations.
Welcome back and Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, was battling food poisoning and been pretty much sleeping around the clock for the past couple of days. My fever finally broke about an hour ago. A friend made some ground turkey taco fixins and apparently failed to cook the ground turkey thoroughly before adding the taco seasoning. Found out the hard way later that night ;-)

Using my better meter, was able to meter the current more accurately on both drivers. The 445nm is set to 1,160mA and the 405nm is set to 390mA. I still have not found the power cord for my custom Kenometer, so it might be a while yet before I check optical output. The tracking info sent for my parts order from China still turns up nothing found, hoping it's on its way.

Bob

Last edited:

I finally found the power cord for my custom Kenometer. I tested both with no lens at all, holding each heatsink about 1/2" away from the sensor face. I zeroed the meter prior to powering up each laser, and verified it returned to zero again after powering each laser off.

The 445nm at 1,160mA is outputting 1,627mW.
The 405nm at 390mA is outputting 503mW.

These currents are measured at the battery running at 7.4V, not the driver output to the diodes.

Bob

Last edited: