Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help Swapping a 650nm for 685nm

I have ordered a 30mw 685nm diode off ebay. I am looking for an easy way to make it into a laser. Is there a cheap 650nm laser where I can just swap the 650 with the 685 diode easily? I'm a am new to this and I'd rather not build a whole laser one piece at a time.

IDTS

not easily anyway...

It would prolly be easier to get a host/heatsink/blank module kit with the driver installed and preset. But you would still need to press the diode and solder your diode to the driver. This is the step that kills the diode for many first-time builders.
Or send your diode to a member here that will build it for you.

good luck...hak

Blord

It is possible to swap but it isn't easy. Like hakzaw1said you better build a new laser around it. And you also need the data sheet for the nominal current for the 30mW 685nm diode.

Blord

Any host will do. The battery depends on what host you use and the driver is also depended on the used battery.

Chose host --> heatsink and battery ---> driver

Look at the buy and sell section for numerous hosts for sale.

IMHO there is no shortcut to learning how to build- there are lots of posts and threads on these topics that you really need to read and study. Some kits, of course are more complete and therefore much easier to assemble. Odicforce comes to mind for a almost complete kit.
And there are others that can send you a kit.
Post a WTB (want to buy) thread in the BS&T board. But if you do not understand Static Electricity, pressing doiodes into blank modules, using a dummy load to set your current, and things like forward voltage, boost and buck drivers, etc and soldering very small parts like drivers and diodes is an art and many parts get sacraficed in the learning process. But this is the only way you can say that you built it yourself.

The data sheet for your diode will tell you the fV and the needed mA from there you choose which battery and driver you want to use and then what host it will fit into.

Besides all the corrrect parts you will need at least the use of a good soldering station- a multi-meter, and maybe dummy load. You need to know about discharging caps to avoid instant diode death. You need to use protection from static as that is one of the most common diode killers.

You may just want to send your diode to a builder. Thats what I would do.

Last edited: