Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help in designing a laser power meter using a thermopile sensor

Samueltrasound

Hey Guys!

I am Samuel John, a Ph.D. candidate, constructing a laser power meter for my continuous-wave laser (1470 nm, 10W). I have a thermopile sensor (photos attached). The specs of the thermopile sensor ( Lumenis Coherent 0210-796-00) is 200W Diameter, 41mm. I would love any suggestions on how to use this sensor

I tried using Arduino and a thermocouple amplifier (MAX 31856), but I see a negative temperature range when the laser beam strikes the sensor. Im confused.

I will be grateful to you if you can help with this query

Thanks
Samuel John

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 6

AsteroidsOnSteroids

Do you have a datasheet or manual for that sensor? If not, it might be worth contacting the manufacturer directly to ask for one. I have no experience with thermopiles, but I know that with thermocouples if you reverse the polarity of the wires then the measured temperature will be going in the wrong direction (i.e. a hot thing will measure cold, or vice versa). Maybe the same kind of thing is happening here. Try reversing the leads of the sensor (and to be clear, I have no experience with thermopiles and I have no experience with this sensor specifically, only do that if you are sure it won't screw anything up).

If that doesn't do it, then you have to start looking at your whole setup. Is the thermopile faulty, is the amplifier circuit wrong, is the arduino code misinterpreting things, etc...

Hi,
Get in touch with Jerry from this company. many folks here use him and he is on spot and can answer your questions.
Rich:)