Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help identifying pin setup

J0SHUA

So I bought a 532 pen from laserpenshop.com

I had to press down the button real hard to make it work. When I finally contacted them to see about getting a new one they basically told me to pound sand and that I should fix it myself, lol dont buy from them...

So I took it apart and have a nice little project going but I need help figuring out what the pin setup is...

I searched high and low looking for the 532 pin setup and couldn't find anything that looked right, and thats probably because its only green after it passes through the crystal...

There are two pins that have black rings around the base and one below that looks like the case pin but I have no clue as to what the pin out is...

Any advise from you pros?

please don't freak out on me, I know its full of IR :D this is just a little practice project until I feel good enough to step it up a notch. I just want to see that I can revive the little green fella and slap it a C6 host for now since I have a few of them hanging around...

Here is a picture of what it looks like: sorry for the poor quality pics but you get the idea...

phsUdqa.jpg

2UaPlc3.jpg

I did not make the red mark down that one side there, thats how it was when I pulled the diode out of the pen.

Here is what it looked like before i took it apart:

QwgidP4.jpg

All opinions and advise is welcomed :D

:eek: He's going to blind himself with IR :eek:

Quick throw that thing in the trash before it gets you :crackup:

Will some one get this man a pin out please...

Last edited:

J0SHUA

Hey,

Check this thread. Someone a few posts down gave a nice written pinout: http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/diode-pinouts-532nm-modules-51859.html

:yh:
Adam

Thanks adam,

I saw that one too. I just didn't know if the diode he was describing was the same exact one I have. But after doing a lot of reading, and understanding how case positive works, it can only be one or the other, just like Morgan said :thinking:

Soon as I have some extra time I'm going to hook it up and try and drive it right from a power supply, I'm sure I'l get my answer real quick. If it blows up, I'll know better for next time :crackup:

:thanks:

That's the for sure way to know just be ready to hit the off switch if you don't get some photons immediately and then reverse the leads and try again ;)

I have found most laser diodes can take a very short reversal of polarity if you make it short so keep your finger on the button.

Thanks adam,

I saw that one too. I just didn't know if the diode he was describing was the same exact one I have. But after doing a lot of reading, and understanding how case positive works, it can only be one or the other, just like Morgan said :thinking:

Soon as I have some extra time I'm going to hook it up and try and drive it right from a power supply, I'm sure I'l get my answer real quick. If it blows up, I'll know better for next time :crackup:

:thanks:

Last edited:

J0SHUA

That's the for sure way to know just be ready to hit the off switch if you don't get some photons immediately and then reverse the leads and try again ;)

I have found most laser diodes can take a very short reversal of polarity if you make it short so keep your finger on the button.

This little pos LD took a massive beating. Not only was there an accidental reversal of polarity that went on for quite some time while I was trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any light, but after I got it running I cranked the sucker up as bright as I could get it until it maxed out, then I dialed it back just a little bit. I was super excited at this point, FINALLY, I thought...

After soldering all the wires to the driver I stuffed everything in the host and thats when I almost cried. It was just like that, one small twist and snap goes all three of the diode pins :banghead:

Great practice lol at least this was only a $30.00 lesson...