Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need a little help building, 1 watt 532nm dpss

Skwoz821

Greetings, I recently bought an 808 nm T05 9mm diode and driverboard. I kind of jumped in over my head, and can’t find parts.

Could anyone possibly give me eBay links, to a laser housing that will fit my T05 9mm diode and convert 808 nm to 532 mm. I’m planning to fit this in a gutted laser 303.

Many thanks!!

You're in for a rough time. Sounds like your first time attempting DPSS. There's a reason these aren't common... Alignment, lack of space and heat dissipation are going to be the bane of this project. Speaking from experience here.

You're not going to find something plug and play for your diode. You'll need a 9mm diode module, probably a custom assembly for the crystals/optics, the crystals/optics themselves, all in the size of that tiny host.

If you really want to try it anyway, I recommend trying some bench setup to get a feel for how it works first. You're going to drive yourself mad and waste money if you dive in on your idea above. Look into ND:YAG and KTP, plenty of resources out there

GSS

ZRaffle,
Kudos for wording it, giving starting options and putting it nicely instead of attacking this new member for he wants to try:)

Maby the OP will surprise us!

diachi

Look into ND:YAG and KTP, plenty of resources out there

Nd:YVO4 is likely a better choice here.

Still, this is no small project, and it's certainly not going to work in a 303 host. At 1W 532nm output you start needing discreet optics (including pump shaping optics crystals, output coupler etc), which complicates things substantially. Not to mention all of the other issues that come with designing a DPSS laser at those sorts of powers.

OP what power is your pump diode? You never said. You're going to need >5W pump power. I've seen 1W greens with >10W pump diodes.

Is YVO4 easier to start off with over YAG? Just curious why it's the better choice is all.

Not trying to give the OP the impression it's doable, but rather for him to try out something easier and learn on his own why it isn't. It's a fun project still at least.

diachi

Is YVO4 easier to start off with over YAG? Just curious why it's the better choice is all.

Not trying to give the OP the impression it's doable, but rather for him to try out something easier and learn on his own why it isn't. It's a fun project still at least.

Better conversion efficiency for end pumping with a polarized pump like a diode. Of course you need to account for polarization, but that's not too difficult, especially with a round package like a 9mm.

Definitely a fun project, though I'd recommend starting with a goal of <=100mW and working up from there. Even just with some bonded crystal sets. Get a feel for it first. Especially if OP has no experience with lasers, especially IR lasers.

Skwoz821

Now that I realized that this is a horrible first project, is there anything I can do with that 808 nm laser?
If not anyone want a free laser diode, just pay for shipping.