Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need a laser that can burn iPhone camera sensor

piga24

Hi!
I'm a noob on this subject but basically I have a pretty weak green laser and it cannot burn my phone camera sensor. I'm looking for a laser that's capable enough to do it.
If you could provide me a link to a website where I can buy that would be amazing!
Thanks in advance!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Why would you want to burn your phone camera?

If you're trying to disable the camera would a black sticker work? Or dissasemble the phone and remove the camera module :p
This ^^^. Disabling your own camera, is surprisingly easy without the need for permanently damaging it. You can go on settings, and turn the camera off altogether. You can simply just not use your camera. Or you can cover over your camera, or take it apart like Immo suggested. Or are you really after destroying other peoples cameras? :oops:

Last edited:

piga24

This ^^^. Disabling your own camera, is surprisingly easy without the need for permanently damaging it. You can go on settings, and turn the camera off altogether. You can simply just not use your camera. Or you can cover over your camera, or take it apart like Immo suggested. Or are you really after destroying other peoples cameras? :oops:
I know it sounds crazy but I really like how it looks, that's all. I would borrow one but don't know anyone that has a laser powerful enough to burn the front sensor.

I know it sounds crazy but I really like how it looks, that's all.

as in you like the look of photos with a giant black spot in the middle of them? Or you like the look of the camera lens but don't want it to work?

If it's the latter and it's an Android phone, there's a method I used maybe 6 or 7 years ago that involves rooting the device, deleting the camera libraries and then unrooting it. An even easier method for Android would just be to revoke the camera hardware permission from every app on the device that uses it.

I'm sorry but I really can't empathise with your motivation here...

piga24

as in you like the look of photos with a giant black spot in the middle of them? Or you like the look of the camera lens but don't want it to work?

If it's the latter and it's an Android phone, there's a method I used maybe 6 or 7 years ago that involves rooting the device, deleting the camera libraries and then unrooting it. An even easier method for Android would just be to revoke the camera hardware permission from every app on the device that uses it.

I'm sorry but I really can't empathise with your motivation here...
37759666_2125755571083124_70110887226114048_n.jpg

This is how it looks if you burn the front sensor on the iPhone. I saw a video with a 3.5mW that did too much to it so I guess 1mW would be enough...
Here's the video for reference, help please.

The laser featured in the video is not 3.5mW - 3.5W is 3500mW - These lasers are expensive and extremely dangerous, usually $200+

If the person in the video was not wearing some high quality laser safety goggles, I'd be very surprised if the guy did not sustain eye damage - Phone screens and glass are highly reflective, and even a tiny reflected fraction of 3.5W is enough to seriously damage his vision.

Honestly - I'd think that the best way to replicate that photo effect would be with Photoshop - not needlessly destroying your device and risking severe eye-damage in the process...

I'm not trying to be confrontational - but I can't in good faith offer help and advice to do something that's at best stupid and wasteful and at worst could hurt you.

''I'm not trying to be confrontational ''

then I WILL--

my guess? its the camera or fone of another that you want to do harm to... and THAT falls under the 'Bad things to do with a laser' list and we do not appreciate anything like that.. its bad for all of us and someday all lasers in USA will be illegal

-- Moronic things like that will make that happen sooner..

my bad --if I am wrong.. but doing damage to your own CMOS sensor makes no sense whatsoever...

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I've got to agree with you on this, Len, that's the first thing I thought; it's for someone elses camera.
Like you said, I hope we're wrong, but either way, this is a dangerous thing to do with a high power laser, especially if you're not familiar with lasers and more importantly, laser safety (proper safety glasses/goggles).

I can't imagine taking an expensive iphone and purposely destroying the camera, when there are many effects which can be added to your photos
to give a similar look.

my guess? its the camera or fone of another that you want to do harm to...

Well I can't say I saw that coming but I reckon you're right Hak... Plenty of vindictive people who would want to destroy another's property. If that's your intention OP, seriously don't do that....

If you're seriously trying to do this to your own phone, the heck is wrong with you. I guess i get more confrontational after midnight... :p

This really makes no sense to me-for all the reasons already discussed- and dangerous given the reflected light. The goal is to try and get static lines and color distortion?
Even if you burn it with a laser-and don't lose vision from the reflection-the odds of getting that exact effect are not good.

Well we see folks 'in the news' being mobbed by photogs.. some put their hand or something in front of their face and move along==.....SOME get really pissed off and attack ... since a camera is often held up to ones face/eyes etc- I want to know how the laser can hit the camera but not the person with the camera or fone.. and lets face it the new ones IMHO are cameras with a fone. ... taking amazing pics and vids.
The law is clear.. IF you are in a public place there is no law against taking pics..especially if you are a person 'in the news' --they are fair game..
There IS a LAW against assault and another for destruction of property --- & if its a press (et al) photog --you can be sued for loss of income.

and AGAIN.. if I am way off on this.... sorry, but the need to keep all us laserfreaks free from oppressive laws is greater... you better know once illegal, getting that changed back is far from easy. The OP would be wise to spend a few hours reading LASERPOINTRESAFETY.ORG
You sure don't want to read about yourself there....

peace hak

Coonie

Unfortunately it's only a matter of time for him to get a high powered laser. We can expect that he and many others will use these chinese lasers dangerously and recklessly to the public.
I hate how people shove cameras in everyone's faces these days too but a better counter effect would be IR leds mounted on a hat or glasses or maybe a smoke bomb. Those you can make dirt cheap out of just 3 ingredients. Never use indoors of course.
You gotta ask yourself too "What am I doing that makes people want to video me?"