Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NASA Studying Ways to Make 'Tractor Beams' a Reality

Tractor beams -- the ability to trap and move objects using laser light -- are the stuff of science fiction, but a team of NASA scientists has won funding to study the concept for remotely capturing planetary or atmospheric particles and delivering them to a robotic rover or orbiting spacecraft for analysis...

See source for full:
NASA - NASA Studying Ways to Make 'Tractor Beams' a Reality

Very interesting stuff. I follow a lot of NASA projects especially projects done at goddard space center so I'll definitely keep an eye on this story.

Lase

How the hell does NASA keep getting funding?

IMO (keeping in mind I'm not from America) this kind of money would be better spent on fixing the economy.

Yes NASA plays a big part in creating jobs but seriously. None of this research has any real-world applications.

My $0.02

Lase

How the hell does NASA keep getting funding?

IMO (keeping in mind I'm not from America) this kind of money would be better spent on fixing the economy.

Yes NASA plays a big part in creating jobs but seriously. None of this research has any real-world applications.

My $0.02

Lase

You won't be saying that when the mother of all comets strikes the Earth and all of us wacky Americans are laughing at you from afar in our Moon base!

MUuhahahaa!

:tinfoil:

Lase

Nope I'll be sitting on my little island, either on the other side of the world to the comet hit and last to feel it's effects, or I'll be in the crater :crackup:

Honestly though they could use that 200petaWatt SuperLaser to destroy the comet. Put all of NASA's funding into that. It'll save us from everything.

Lase

You won't be saying that when the mother of all comets strikes the Earth and all of us wacky Americans are laughing at you from afar in our Moon base!

MUuhahahaa!

:tinfoil: