Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

n00b Q: Why buy a laser powerful enough to see the beam, when doing so dictates that

d4m0n

you'll have to wear safety glasses which will prevent you from seeing the beam?

The noob part of this question is that noobs believe you always have to wear glasses. You dont need tonalways wear glasses but if we told noobs that then they would injure themselves all the time. By pushing safety they will understand the dangers. With time they learn proper handling, thus allowing them to use lasers (in certain situations) without glasses

XD001

+rep for Livin(loud), like Livin said, once you get used to it, you'll learn the procedures on how to handle it responsibly. Also, mostly people wear safety glasses/goggles when pointing at reflections surfaces, mirrors, or anything that reflects (even though, in my opinion you shouldn't point it at reflecting surfaces UNLESS you have it coordinated, or planned, still very dangerous though) :) Thanks Livin :)

(Edit:) I suggest you start with one digits (1mW-9mW), move your way up to ten digits (10mW-99mW), then once you learn go for the 'big gun digits' (100mW-1000mW), then to the ultra powerful kind (2W-5W).

Last edited:

d4m0n

Gotcha. So it's more an "err on the side of caution" thing for the uninitiated. I just ordered my first lasers (three 5mW true green lasers from DX) before stumbling across this site. I have no interest in burning things or lighting matches, but I thought they might be neat for pointing out constellations to my wife.

Last edited:

XD001

Gotcha. So it's more an "err on the side of caution" thing for the uninitiated. I just ordered my first lasers (3 5mW true green lasers from DX) before stumbling across this site. I have no interest in burning things or lighting matches, but I thought they might be neat for pointing out constellations to my wife.

5mW is perfect for that! Just don't point it in the flight line of an aircraft ;)

(Make sure there is no aircrafts nearby)

FYI, no matter what DX claims, they will be way over 5mW. Most likely in the 30-75mW range, not joking. To get a true 5mW laser takes tuning and quality products. The lasers DX have are mass producrd and punped out of sweatshops, they never test the power

beams are always safe to look at. just not safe to get hit by, and not safe to look at the dot too close at some powers. like burning stuff. you always need them (safety glasses) then