Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Thor M2 450nm 3W laser wont turn on :(

I was changing batteries in my laser, and when I pressed a button I could not turn it on.
I was trying to screw cap back and forth and 2 times I managed to turn it on, but the moment I just moved it in air a little bit (just so I can place it on a desk) it just stopped working again... :((((
I tried different batteries, I screwed cap many times, nothing...
Also I think it was loosing on power and brightness but I cant really teall as I dont have LPM but definitely the "texture" of the diode light (the stripes it has inside) were changing over time (over time span of like a month or something like that)
The time I was using it before this happened I wasnt overheating it or anything like that.

Thankfully its still on guarantee, but I think its better idea to ask you first what to do/what might had happened to it, before sending it back to China...

:cryyy:

EDIT: I tried shorting the battery and end of the host threading with cable and aluminium foil, and it doesnt work...

Last edited:

GSS

Leon, you had another long, thread that was all about battery's and "tail cap" issue's.
It was also giving you issue then..
As for the light "stripes" you just might have the plastic lens..

Last edited:
take a wire and short the battery end with the host threading,most likely its your tailcap problem.

like this

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20180310_211217.jpg
    IMG_20180310_211217.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: GSS
GSS its glass lens, The diode emits spot with stripes, and those stripes were changing brightness not shape, also it was working fine with the nitecore and olight batteries, just now I cant turn it on, btw about what issue then are you talking about, I just wanted to make sure im buying right batteries and charger.
RedCowboy i tried it many times unscreewing and screewing it back tighter/less tighter, I dont see any "ring"

take a wire and short the battery end with the host threading,most likely its your tailcap problem.

like this

attachment.php

ok Ill try in a moment

EDIT: I tried with cable and alm foil, and it doesnt work :(

Last edited:
if you are sure that your batteries are good then its the main body of the laser(driver,diode) hard to make anything more if you are not sure what your doing.best will be to sent your laser to someone for a fix or on the seller if it has a warranty

GSS

GSS its glass lens, The diode emits spot with stripes, and those stripes were changing brightness not shape, also it was working fine with the nitecore and olight batteries, just now I cant turn it on, btw about what issue then are you talking about, I just wanted to make sure im buying right batteries and charger.
RedCowboy i tried it many times unscreewing and screewing it back tighter/less tighter, I dont see any "ring"
Leon, I didn't mean to come across harsh:)
The issue I meant was when you were trying out the different battery's the laser would turn on off and on when screwing the tail switch on..
Forgot about buying from Tommy's sight and having the glass lens..
Have you got it working?

Tommy has a 6 month warrentee that I see and lets hope he honors it without you paying for return shipping..

Last edited:
It does sound very much like an intermittent connection. Probably somewhere in the driver/diode area. Since you say it is under warrantee, I'd contact LPS and see what you need to do to take advantage of it. Hope you don't have to ship back at your own expense as that is not cheap.

Encap

Return it for replacement or refund.

These low cost low end mass produced lasers are subject to faults and problems more so than more higher end products.

Email the seller and tell him--- if you mess with at all it voids any warranty

Last edited:
Return it for replacement or refund.

These low cost low end mass produced lasers are subject to faults and problems more so than more higher end products.

Email the seller and tell him--- if you mess with at all it voids any warranty

To be honest my Thor M2 is doing pretty well. If I want to burn things this is the laser which I use as it is cheap and effective. It is a victim of abuse and still alive surprisingly :whistle:.

But yes these lasers are subject to faults more than higher quality lasers just like Encap said. Some people are lucky and some aren't. :)

Wooo! Warranty!

Reactions: GSS

GSS

To be honest my Thor M2 is doing pretty well. If I want to burn things this is the laser which I use as it is cheap and effective. It is a victim of abuse and still alive surprisingly :whistle:.

But yes these lasers are subject to faults more than higher quality lasers just like Encap said. Some people are lucky and some aren't. :)

Wooo! Warranty!
Saying there's a warranty and honoring it is a different story..
I'm sure there is a potential for them to last and be fun for quite some time.
Narwhal, do you see enough mass to handle the 3W version? I'm also thinking they use a brass module which is iffy.:undecided:

Narwhal, do you see enough mass to handle the 3W version? I'm also thinking they use a brass module which is iffy.:undecided:

The upper part of the host of my Thor starts to get warm after about a 40-50secs which is when I start to think about turning it off. This thing could probably just handle 3W but nothing more if you want a decent duty cycle.

Will probably disassemble it at some point to see whats inside. Don't have the right tools right now. :(

Last edited:
These hosts are made of steel, which doesn't have very good thermal conductivity. By the time you feel it getting warm, the small brass heat sink inside is much hotter.

GSS

These hosts are made of steel, which doesn't have very good thermal conductivity. By the time you feel it getting warm, the small brass heat sink inside is much hotter.
All the specs on all the Thors say the hosts are AL. I know the brass module isn't a good sink but Paul are you sure? Did you try a magnet on yours, as I don't believe its stainless if the magnet were not to stick.

Hi GSS,
Thor hosts are AL i bored out the battery tubes on them to hold 2X18350's instead of the usual 16340's . Just enough AL to eliminate for the job,

Rich:)