Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My story

Hey LPF, here is my introduction to the forums.

I am 25, I live in Nashville and have a huge passion for electronics, computers, lasers, etc lol. I am am a certified electronics tech through the ETA and enjoy working on and repairing electronic devices.

I found this site around 2010 and have lurked on and off for a while. I need to say that I am very wary of getting a high powered laser because I have aphakia (a condition in which a person has no lens in the eye) in one of my eyes and extreme myopia in the other (near-sightedness). I was born with a congenital cataract and had my lens in my right eye removed at 1 month. Thankfully my grandmother who is a registered nurse spotted it and took me to the pediatrician to have it removed.

Bad news is that eye never developed properly and I have extremely limited vision. I only use my left eye 100% of the time and am unable to view 3D anything. Good news is that due to my aphakia in my right eye I am able to see into the UV light range. I first noticed it when I was 15 at church and they put black lights in the youth area for fun. I kept wondering why I could see white light/whitish purple light emitting from them in my right eye but only purple in my left.

I finally answered this question recently when I did some googling around on the subject of seeing UV light. The reason I can see UV is that the blue cone receptors in the eye actually are capable of detecting UV. The reason most people cannot see it is that the Lens filters out this spectrum of light.

I have read Xoul's story of his accident and my heart goes out to him. I can empathize with him as I have a large dead spot on the inner part of my vision (next to my nose) in my right aphakic eye from years of it being crossed from a lack of light stimulation as a child. I use only my left eye and I do just fine running, playing sports, and driving. I cannot imagine what he is experiencing going from 2 eyes down to 1 but I can say living life with just 1 eye is not the end of the world.

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Sig if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

BTW... Any new members that feel that it is a waste
their time to search for answers to their questions
that are easily found on the Forum can contact/PM
member Eudaimonium here..

PM Eudaimonium

He has graciously offered to answer ALL questions
from new members that are too busy to find any
answers for themselves...

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Hey I'm not far from you in Chattanooga. Interesting story, although I cannot imagine the difficulties of having "very limited vision" being able to see some UV light is pretty nest.

Thanks Cel for the warm welcome and you too Lasersbee. I have read most all of those threads thanks for pointing them out again. I should probably bookmark those for quick reference for myself and others.

@TheDukeAnumber1 I have lived like this my entire life so it is hard to miss something you have never experienced. Seeing UV is kinda neat but it can be annoying since all glasses now come with anti UVA and UVB coatings. I can see purple through the lens but the UV entering my eye from around my glasses is white.

An interesting fact I read the other day was that they used people with aphakia in WWII to receive morse code messages sent by way of UV spot lights as only they could see the UV light from the spot lights. No one else knew a message was being transmitted because they couldnt see the morse code.

That's pretty interesting, ya learn something new every day. Welcome to lpf :wave: I too have a passion for electrical circuits and anything electronic (im probably speaking for the majority of this forum lol)