Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My NST Melting Sand!!

L

likewhat

I work with extremely high voltage and high current devices at work and the general rule is if you are using high voltage never do it alone and generally be away from it if it is turned on. You set it up and then move away from it before turning it on. After you turn it off you take a grounded shorting stick and make sure you discharge anything that could have charged up before touching it.

If you are going to play with high voltage it is wise to have a friend with you just in case.

Things

amk, when he shock is 50-60hz, the result is ALOT worse than say 20khz. High frequency power tends to travel on the outside of the skin, not like low frequency, which you can kill yourself with MUCH easier. Believe me, you can be killed from a NST, its no myth!

danq

amkdeath said:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/shock.html
yeah - what the link said- [EDIT]: but they fail to mention that the >100ma levels can also result in fatality... or wishing-for-fatality. Their table here has it a bit better.[/EDIT]

In jr high and high school I used to play with the spare electron or two... including my share of HV.
Old rule of thumb was, 1a) it ain't the voltage, Spike, it's the current! 1b) it takes as little as 15-20ma of current to stop yer flow.

Now, if you want really high voltages from those transformers... try cascading them.

For example (this is from memory, could be wrong, and don't do this!):

I used to take the output of a 120V->12V transformer and run that 12V to the low side of a 120V->6V transformer... giving me about 240V; which then went to the 6V winding in a 120 -> 6V, 6V, 1200V; which made some way cool (to me at the time) Jacob's Ladder, etc. I had no good way to measure voltage but the spark was about 2 1/2" at the top.

This may not work with "modern" hardware - I was using old WW2 surplus, the real stuff, built like a tank. Really, that multi-winding unit - it's still up in the attic - had armor plate and treads on it! [sub] ;)[/sub]
Pushing today's models too hard you could just wind up with hot xfmr innards in your face.

And be careful! I had myself pretty well trained to get my hand out of there in a hurry at the slightest tingle - once threw some pliers about 20 feet that way (thus inventing the first basement electromagnetic pulse launcher). But that was when I was immortal, and people aren't immortal anymore.

Bottom line: keep one hand behind your back; wear dry rubber-soled shoes and preferably gloves; and keep a buddy around to show off to and to perform the CPR.

;-)

Things

And don't touch the transformers output? :p :p Yeah, i am gonna buy some diodes and rectify my NST and use it to charge caps one day, possibly even make a tesla coil.

Things

the 1st HV thing i had was one of those peizo igniters, and they hurt. then got a ignition coil jacobs ladder, which hurt abit more. Then i got a flyback, that hurt REALLY bad, since it had a built in cap. Then the NST, which i have been shocked by before, and lemme tell you, it hurts like #%@$$@%#%@ hell!

well, I started small, American Cewing gun joke... LOL... I thought that was bad.

THen US power outlet shock, not very bad though....

Then small tesla coil... not too bad.

THen Bigger tesla.. This one hurt

and then, whne I was little, and un-enlightened, my uncle told me My hands stunk, and told me to wash them. He also told me the towel was dirty, and scared me from drying my hands. good old wet handed boy now walks back when his uncle needs some "help"... He was modifying a 220v --> 12v transformer for something (I didnt know that back then) and he needed "help". so i help the wires for him, being careful not to touch the "poisonous plastic insulation". He then plugged it in and I cried for a long time and my mom got angry and blah blah blah so on

anyhow, nothing serious, the 2 most painful shocks have been the tesla and the transformer, but thats about it.

Things

Ive been hit by 240V once, not pleasant! Luckily the ground wasnt too wet ::)