Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My New LaserGlow Galileo - Performance Questions....

I recently took delivery of a LaserGlow Galileo 532nm Class IIIa green laser pointer. This is my first greenie, and I have a couple of questions regarding its performance.

Power: No questions here... just FYI

Rated Output Power: 4.0-5.0 mW
Tested* Average Power: 4.3 mW
Tested* Peak Power: 4.3 mW
I cannot test / confirm LG's measurements.
*Tested by LaserGlow, printed on label

Rated Divergence: <1.2 mrad
Measured Divergance: 1.4 mrad

As you can see, my measured divergence exceeds the specification! I plan to measure the divergence again this evening, being as precise as I can with my current tools. We'll see how it does...

Beam projection (spot) quality:
The beam spot on a wall 33 feet away is not really a "spot." It has a definite elongation. See the photos.

Beam on wall @ 33 feet:
IMG_20101101_212513.jpg

Same conditions, reduced exposure:
IMG_20101101_212431.jpg

Note that for my divergence measurement, I used the smallest diameter, ignoring the elongation.

Beam alignment:
I didn't find any specification on the alignment of the beam and the body / housing / host, but mine seems to be a bit excessive for a pointer marketed to be used with a telescope. My quick measurements and calculation show that the beam is about 2.5-3° offset from the body. Is this normal?

The following photos show the beam at about 16 inches when rolling the body (using a fixed hard stop / cradle, to maintain body alignment). I tried to capture the max left and right projections.

Misalignment: Max left:
IMG_20101102_102603.jpg

Misalignment: Max right:
IMG_20101102_102640.jpg

Here are closeups of the beam shift.
Misalignment: Max left:
IMG_20101102_102922.jpg

Misalignment: Max right:
IMG_20101102_102706.jpg

Is my laser OK? Does the spot elongation and divergence indicate a possible internal optics misalignment? Does this warrant an exchange? Or is it all "good enough," and I should just shut up and enjoy my laser? :p

This isn't intended to be a review... but here are a couple of photos of the packaging and laser.

Packaging:
IMG_20101102_092027.jpg

Display Box, Closed:
IMG_20101102_092046.jpg

Display Box, Open (note, the battery in the box is not the one that the Galileo came with):
IMG_20101102_092120.jpg

Label:
IMG_20101102_092329.jpg

Thanks for looking!

The LG Galileo was my first green laser.
I loved it. I'm actually using a Galileo host (not from LG) for a project I'm working on right now.

Slight misalignment is common. As for the elongation, I would guess that one of the optical elements in the assembly is causing this.
if it doesn't interfere with the intended use for this product, I would not worry about it.
However, I'm sure if you contacted LaserGlow and let them know they could help you out - if it bothers you enough.