Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My new adquisition: Tritium! (Pic heavy)

GatoX

Hi everyone, I'm back, and I'm back with a review of a tritium vial. :evil:

Tritium! the magic element that makes glow under the phenomen of Radiolumiscence. It emits beta radiation which hits with a zinc sulfide screen and generates light!!!. This effect happens for too many years, but 12.5 years after, the radiation will be the half. It's called "Half life" not the videogame.

First, the tritium was bought in 20th of March in aliexpress. The measurements are 80mm * 5mm. It cost me 44€ and was shipped in 25th and recieved yesterday, 8th of June. I was lucky, the local shipping business on my country was on strike...

Simple equation: Strike + Chinese shipping = :banghead:

When I had it, i didn't see any glow and I tought -"F***ing chineses, they have scammed me again" but as soon as I dim the light, the vial becomes more and more brighter.

The baby's photos

The chinese package:

15%2B-%2B2

The tritium box, covered with bubble wrapping

15%2B-%2B4

More bubble wrapping inside of the box:

15%2B-%2B3

The vial with light:

15%2B-%2B5

Low light:

15%2B-%2B1

Long exposure (OMG I need a camera and photography lessons, sorry for eye bleeding :whistle:) Better photos taken by Blord.

15%2B-%2B1

And finally, a photo closer how really looks:

15%2B-%2B1

In conclusion, is fascinating how this tube can glow for years. I'm thinking in making a nuclear cell with two solar cells, what do you think? It would power a laser? yes, will do, I promise you.

Last edited:

Tritium is very cool

Several members here and on candlepower forums have sold vials on and off.

You can get vials that are colored also, but usually not very large (1.5 x 5.5 mm)

But they are great for marking what color your laser is (especially on the Kryton Grooves.)

Have fun. I bought my wife a 1" vial with case for her keychain. One of the favorite things she has. :)
I've got a big one on my desk about the same size as yours.

Last edited:
Nice, i have a small keychain tube that shines a bit blue bought many years ago.

GatoX

I was searching and I found this: Building nuclear reactor at home - from scratch : Svarichevsky Mikhail

This guy got 7mw from a 22.5mm * 3mm vial. In theory, the mine (80mm * 5mm) is 1570mm^3 and the other 156mm^3, which makes about x10 bigger volume. In perfect conditions it will make 70mw, but I expect 20mw. I will notice you about the proyect if you like, I'm waiting for buy a multimeter, I blew it short time ago.

Last edited: