Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My New 3W Kryton Groove NDB7875 445nm Laser!

Hey guys, I recently purchased this complete Kryton Groove laser from grainde. It uses the NDB7875 and outputs 3 Watts! This host is really beautiful and quite remarkable as well. Here is the for sale thread where I first saw it.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/last-one-polished-kryton-groove-98469.html
Anyway here it is in all its glory, enjoy the pics :D
VXEyO4H.jpg

LE74f6M.jpg

8iGB4hc.jpg

nABWjil.jpg

Din43mv.jpg

oKuw6d0.jpg

Reactions: Sta

I've got that same diode in a sinner MS-SSW II host with a 2.4 amp X-Drive and G lens that outputs a touch over 3 watts. You should get into building your own eventually. Nice laser.

I've got that same diode in a sinner MS-SSW II host with a 2.4 amp X-Drive and G lens that outputs a touch over 3 watts. You should get into building your own eventually. Nice laser.

Yeah I have built two so far myself seen in my signature the NUBM44 and M462 lasers. I am currently building a BDR-209 in a micro host from jayrob, everything is ordered and paid for so I'm just waiting for the mail to come :D I didn't build my own NDB7875 because I saw this host and I absolutely loved it :D

Oh, okay. Do you think that BDR-209 will be happy in a small heat sink? You should probably limit the duty cycle to way under a minute, unless you are planning on under-driving it.

Oh, okay. Do you think that BDR-209 will be happy in a small heat sink? You should probably limit the duty cycle to way under a minute, unless you are planning on under-driving it.

I usually don't keep any of my lasers on for more than 30 seconds at a time just for longevity reasons. I am going to run it at 600 mA and have it in a 12mm module inside the copper heatsink from the host which gives it an extra few mm.

In that case, I would definitely limit the duty cycle to no more than 30 seconds. That's not enough heat sink for that diode at that current. It's a single mode diode and you should use a G lens or another aspherical single element lens. You'll probably get about 950 mW using it that way.

Edit: if you drove it at 450 mA you would get 700 mW or better and decrease the amount of heat and probably increase the diode's life.

Last edited:
In that case, I would definitely limit the duty cycle to no more than 30 seconds. That's not enough heat sink for that diode at that current. It's a single mode diode and you should use a G lens or another aspherical single element lens. You'll probably get about 950 mW using it that way.

Yeah I got it with a G2 lens from DTR, here's the pic from his website where its driven at 600 mA :beer: it looks like it should be the ~950 mW I want! I heard this thing can burn things over 30 feet away:wave:
7da7.jpg

Yes, that's true, but I edited my last post. With such a small heat sink you would have a very short duty cycle and it might decrease the life of the diode. If you want it in a tiny host, you would be better off driving it at 450 mA.

Last edited:
Yes, that's true, but I edited my last post. With such a small heat sink you would have a very short duty cycle and it might decrease the life of the diode. If you want it in a tiny host, you would be better off driving it at 450 mA.

Well if it burns out I'll just buy another one, the diode itself is only $32 its not like an nubm44 or such that are much pricier haha :p I MUST HAVE THE POWER
769c53eea35b411f0bec6344db1c7d6ecc7c022eed5ac7bb5b6ae4ebf07300a1.jpg

Last edited:
That particular diode is not very forgiving. You would do yourself a favor by saving the small host for another build and using something more substantial for this one. I have a 405nm that does 700 mW in a huge aluminum heat sink and it has never failed me in a very long while. I think it's because that diode is only 3.8mm in diameter that it dislikes being over-driven so much.

That particular diode is not very forgiving. You would do yourself a favor by saving the small host for another build and using something more substantial for this one. I have a 405nm that does 700 mW in a huge aluminum heat sink and it has never failed me in a very long while. I think it's because that diode is only 3.8mm in diameter that it dislikes being over-driven so much.

But but but but but I wanna pop balloons at a super long distance covertly and i dont know if 500 mA will do that for me

Last edited:
I'd use a larger heat sink then. Even at 500 mA that small host is not enough for that diode. If you don't mind waiting to get another diode and pressing the old one out and pressing the new one in and doing all the soldering and everything else that will come with the failure of the diode; might even destroy the driver, then go for it.

I'd use a larger heat sink then. Even at 500 mA that small host is not enough for that diode. If you don't mind waiting to get another diode and pressing the old one out and pressing the new one in and doing all the soldering and everything else that will come with the failure of the diode; might even destroy the driver, then go for it.

You have me concerned, so I will power up the diode in the 12mm module with my PSU before I put it in the host and see how warm it gets quickly. :D

Edit: I have my M462 in a 12mm module inside a heatsink much like the one I am going to make with the BDR-209 and the M462 works just fine as long as I keep the duty cycle less than 30 seconds/60 seconds.

Last edited:
Yeah, those little diodes seem to just all of a sudden fail, and then you are stuck with having to redo the whole thing all over again. Just because you think it is not getting too hot as fast as you think it should, don't think it can't fail.

Yeah, those little diodes seem to just all of a sudden fail, and then you are stuck with having to redo the whole thing all over again. Just because you think it is not getting too hot as fast as you think it should, don't think it can't fail.

Have a little faith man lol like DTR says, if you cant afford to get burned a few times then this is the wrong hobby to be in :D plus I love soldering and making these lasers, if it were to fail then I'd still have fun repairing it :D I enjoy the challenge

Last edited:
Nice Kryton buddy
I have one in my sig that I built also, not a bad host!

you should know if you purchase the BDR209 with the Nano boost-buck driver preset to 500ma from Jordan he offers warranty on the preset module and these drivers are the best choice for blueray diodes, I have 3 mini blueray builds all with the nano set to 500 and all going strong, good luck buddy!

Last edited: