Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Monster 6+ watt Laser Build Has Started !

Accutronitis,when you watch a movie the hole can be in the way you may miss the best part good thing it wasn't the 7w the would be a hole on both sides :D
in case of a alien attack or zombie apocalypse the news may post a number to call for help and the hole will block 1 number !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Accutronitis nice job on the tv :pop:
You like that ? lol I'm not above admitting my mistakes, The rare times that they do happen that is lol......

It didn't make any holes, it just distorted the screen in a few small places that are barely noticeable when watching TV, now with a all white background it's more noticeable..... lol It's a good thing it was across the room and it's only my build room TV and not the big expensive Samsung big screen in the living room !

Lol, he made the TV even better. :D
My TV kind of look like your sig now ! LOL :D

sigpic47079_16.gif
:D

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Lol, it does. :D Just need to keep going and get a few more burn marks. :crackup:

This is just an update on this laser I now call "Thor's Hammer"....

This is for anyone who might find it interesting, I'm now using OPT 6X cylindrical lens pair fast axis correction along with a home made focusing beam expander.

Here are a few pictures of this new setup I'm using now.....

This is a video of the close to 3mm spot at 16 feet away, The moment I hold the dot still the black plastic bursts into flames almost immediately and then ignites any flammable fumes caused by melting of the plastic just before the primary flame !

This is the same laser Drawing a Line at 3.5 Feet away, It shows how small i can focus the dot down to now, I'm keeping it moving the whole time i'm drawing the line and there is a flame shooting out from the dot the whole time I'm drawing it !

Last edited:
I can see where going with the 6X alone lets all your beam fit into your expanders diameter, it looks like you have it all on target at 16 feet.

Are you still going to build the wider BE as well?

This home made beam expander's input lens is huge, Way bigger than it needs to be, It's around 25mm ! It's close to the same size as the output lens which is around 30mm........

Yes, ElectricPlasma has already 3D printed the housing that will hold the lenses but I have to wait until after the first of the month to pay him, I have a input lens that diverges the corrected beam much more than the input lens in my first BE, It should do the trick.....

Last edited:
------EDIT------

I was looking at my spot on a target at 81 feet through some pretty decent quality 8x21 binoculars and I remember seeing this before, the spot looked like it was magically through the target by a foot or two, I could clearly see the target in sharp focus and the spot in sharp focus, but it looked like the spot was past the target even though it was burning it.

Have you noticed this phenomenon?

I've never used binoculars to look at the spot, I've always set the focus and then walked over to the spot to look at it (pain in the butt) But I've been thinking of getting some binoculars thinking it would cut out the walking back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, well you get the idea, Oh man I'm getting tried just thinking about it, and add to that it's going to be over 110 today as it has been for a week now so I'm in no hurry to go outside because even at 12:00 at night it still in the 90's !!!

Thank science for A/C or I'd be dead by now !

Last edited:
At least yours is a dry heat, down here it's 90's but it's like you're walking in soup.

I remember flying to LV for a weekend, it was summer and 100 and something but I walked the strip and stayed dry, then I fly home and it's overcast, mid 80's and just rained, I was wet with sweat by the time I got to my car.

I just got a little stand for the Hammer and here are a few pictures because ALL of the photobucket pictures I've posted are now dead #@$@#%$#*#$ photobucket !

11940-100-7304.jpg

11939-100-7303.jpg

11938-100-7302.jpg

11941-100-7306.jpg

Here are two more videos at 4 feet beam expander focused on a cordless drill chuck, The "Hammer" 7 Watts laser focused down to a tiny point at 4 feet makes anything it touches burst into flames instantly !

The only time a flame isn't shooting out from it is when I'm focusing it !

And this is what happens when you focus 7 Watts of laser down to the width of a needle & point it at black plastic from a foot away, A Flame Show !!!

Last edited:
Update for anyone interested.....

I upgraded my home made beam expander yesterday by robbing the output lens from my Jetlasers 10X beam expander and using it on my home build BE, I did this for a few reasons, The first is the old output lens had a big scratch/chip and it was killing some output power, And second the Jetlasers output lens is a single lens that is AR coated which will further boost the output power, And lastly it looks cooler !!! lol

I enjoy BE's too, I really love the pop and crackle also when materials shoot a jet of smoke and flame, working with different materials is very interesting, wet organics that pop then shoot steam quickly turning into a burn and then it all falls away as ash is always impressive, sometimes with thin stuff like wet green leaves in my yard I will defocus to get a wider slot and I set a feed rate where I can cut a wide path, the adjacent wavelength to the hot center pre heats the next area with a touch of over focus, it's enjoyable to experiment with.

The 06 diodes with GBall intact and 3X BE are strong, I have a freak that is the prettiest blue, it must be 460nm, just gorgeous and bright as heck, all the air was thick with fireworks smoke the other night and it was really intense.

Of course we always follow safety precautions. :beer: