Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Laser Driver Circuit!

Platupus999

Still unsure what voltage battery i should use.

Attachments

• ORIGINAL CIRCUIT.PNG
    ORIGINAL CIRCUIT.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 24
  • ICPDF-SLD3232VF-GD.PDF
    130.6 KB · Views: 13

Hey Platupus999, that circuit looks great, the battery voltage depends on the current that you laser diode needs. BTW, the efficiency of linear systems (LM series for example) has an averege of 50%, but the efficiency of switching systems has an average of 90% of higher, so you should try to implement a buck converter circuit for your diode. Remmenber that you must use a dedicated power supply only for your power electronics circuit (a certificated power supply or an ATX power supply as an alternative), diodes are kind of complex elements, and has to be protected from the noise of your own circuit and the noise of electricity provider, your control ciruit must be supplied with a different voltage source. Hope this information was useful, have a nice day.

the battery voltage depends on the current that you laser diode needs.

Bullshit. The voltage depends on the minimum dropout of the regulator, the battery ESR, and the forward voltage of the load.

the efficiency of switching systems has an average of 90% of higher

Bullshit. the best server power supplies might be over 90, but almost all of the low voltage constant current drivers are going to be 80s at best.

The efficiency of linear systems (LM series for example) has an averege of 50%,

Bullshit. The efficiency of any linear regulator is a function of voltage drops as stated above. Any average calculations you're doing here are based on non-comparable topologies. This particular build might be 50% with a 9V, or lower with 12V, but I've built LED arrays from rectified/smoothed mains with an LM317 that are ~96% efficient.

you should try to implement a buck converter circuit for your diode.

Bullshit. This is his first laser driver. Don't be ridiculous.

Remmenber that you must use a dedicated power supply only for your power electronics circuit (a certificated power supply or an ATX power supply as an alternative)

l4L6gbp.jpg

More bullshit. What the absolute f:rolleyes:ck are you talking about? Why are batteries forbidden? Certified by whom?

diodes are kind of complex elements, and has to be protected from the noise of your own circuit and the noise of electricity provider

That's the role of the DRIVER, not the power supply. The lm317 will run fine off noisy filtered mains. That's precisely why they're called REGULATORS you toad sucker.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You guys listen to cyparagon. He knows what he's talking about.

Bullshit. The voltage depends on the minimum dropout of the regulator, the battery ESR, and the forward voltage of the load.

Bullshit. the best server power supplies might be over 90, but almost all of the low voltage constant current drivers are going to be 80s at best.

Bullshit. The efficiency of any linear regulator is a function of voltage drops as stated above. Any average calculations you're doing here are based on non-comparable topologies. This particular build might be 50% with a 9V, or lower with 12V, but I've built LED arrays from rectified/smoothed mains with an LM317 that are ~96% efficient.

Bullshit. This is his first laser driver. Don't be ridiculous.

l4L6gbp.jpg

More bullshit. What the absolute f:rolleyes:ck are you talking about? Why are batteries forbidden? Certified by whom?

That's the role of the DRIVER, not the power supply. The lm317 will run fine off noisy filtered mains. That's precisely why they're called REGULATORS you toad sucker.
Just focusing on power supplies,

The capacitors called X2, are high voltage capacitors that are directly connected in the input of the switching supplies, in case of any damage you can shorcircuit them.
The X1Y2 capacitors are for protection, and they're practically to neutralize the chasis of the power supply, in case of any damage you left them open.
Peak limiters as the MOV are used to use, or the NTC, SCK054.
It also have termistors as the TVR10471 as a protection, and here come the good design point, SCK is a current peak limiter, that's why it's put serially, and they're have a low ohm value.
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 4.28.10 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 4.28.10 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 4.28.10 PM (2).jpeg

These componets are the EMI / RFI filters in ATX power supplies (the chinese ones), that protecs your circuit from external radio frecuency interactions. In the certified power supplies (the expensive one) you can find more accurate circuits that protects your design.

I'm not gonna go deep on the other parts, 'cause that's kind of a problem that you have.

And leading to your point Mr. "If it can be shattered by the truth, it deserves to be shattered by the truth", you should read more, I strongly believe that you are not an engineer, you are not a designer, you are not providing feedback , so, show me your squematics, your math, the books that you use, 'cause you're talking in a rude way and lack of base on electronics "LM has a high efficiency", you're totally wrong.

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

Just focusing on power supplies,

The capacitors called X2, are high voltage capacitors that are directly connected in the input of the switching supplies, in case of any damage you can shorcircuit them.
The X1Y2 capacitors are for protection, and they're practically to neutralize the chasis of the power supply, in case of any damage you left them open.
Peak limiters as the MOV are used to use, or the NTC, SCK054.
It also have termistors as the TVR10471 as a protection, and here come the good design point, SCK is a current peak limiter, that's why it's put serially, and they're have a low ohm value.
View attachment 70786
View attachment 70787View attachment 70788
Get off your high horse mate, Cyparagon knows his shit, And you don't. Now please do tell me where did you see that the guy wants to power his lm317 circuit with an AC 240v mains battery? Else your above post is totally irrelevant. The guy asked what voltage battery he should get( BTW O.P. 2 of any lipo cells in series will work). And also you are actually completely wrong, If powered with a high voltage close to their max (28ish v) and the output voltage is 24+v they are very efficient, Want to know why? You should read more!

Get off your high horse mate, Cyparagon knows his shit, And you don't. Now please do tell me where did you see that the guy wants to power his lm317 circuit with an AC 240v mains battery? Else your above post is totally irrelevant. The guy asked what voltage battery he should get( BTW O.P. 2 of any lipo cells in series will work). And also you are actually completely wrong, If powered with a high voltage close to their max (28ish v) and the output voltage is 24+v they are very efficient, Want to know why? You should read more
OMG, you guys are even more ignorant than I though! ATX power supplies can provide you differents types of voltage format, as 3V3 and 5V, using this you can avoid the recharging of the battery. READ A GOOD DAMM BOOK!

Last edited:

Platupus999

aaaaaaahhhhh ive started a war.
K guys im just gonna use some lithium ion batteries i salavaged from a laptop battery, they have a volatge (when combined of like 10-12 volts
LM317 takes 3v + Laser diode 5v + volatage drop and fluctuations = around 10v

Platupus999

i do also have a voltage adpator thingy (idk what its called) that plugs into mains and you can get a wanted voltage (which is between 5 to 13 volts if i remeber correctly)

Anthony P

I would use a pair of 18650 or similar.
There is an interesting old article in Radio Electronics magazine November 1990 to power a diode with similar requirements and a 3rd pin photodiode.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Hey, this is a laser diode, it can destroys the eyes of some one, so we must be careful! DO NOT APROVE THAT KINDS OF COMMENTS.
You're reply is perplexing to me. The bad grammar and what you're saying doesn't have anything to do with my comment.

Giannis_TDM

OMG, you guys are even more ignorant than I though! ATX power supplies can provide you differents types of voltage format, as 3V3 and 5V, using this you can avoid the recharging of the battery. READ A GOOD DAMM BOOK!
LOL, the lm317 will drop 3v by itself and then another 5v so non of these rails would work, READ A GOD DAMN BOOK! You don't even know the basics of linear voltage regulators!!

gazer101

I don't know much about current regulators, but tell me @Platupus999, why don't you actually try building the circuits you are suggesting and see what happens?

Theory should be able to live up to reality

Platupus999

I don't know much about current regulators, but tell me @Platupus999, why don't you actually try building the circuits you are suggesting and see what happens?

Theory should be able to live up to reality
im gonna build it as soon as i recieve the parts (they are still in transit) :)