Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Goggles from Jetlasers Melted

iAurora

Hi guys,
I just got my Pl-e pro 2W from Jetlasers, and a pair of goggles called ‘Jet safe’.

After i unboxed the goggles i went a bit stupid and tried to test it with the laser as i seen in some videos.

I holded it for like 1-2 seconds, and a yellow dot appeared on the glass as seen in the pics.

My question is, can i still use these goggles? I mean if i get hit from the point of the yellow dot, will my eye still be protected or not?
Or it is now useless?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C2E5F4A8-58E6-490F-BF81-77EBBF7CC6C3.jpeg
    C2E5F4A8-58E6-490F-BF81-77EBBF7CC6C3.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 10670665-353F-43B0-9970-6227AF892B12.jpeg
    10670665-353F-43B0-9970-6227AF892B12.jpeg
    860.3 KB · Views: 18

Cheap laser goggles are not designed to have a beam pointed directly at them. They are only designed for scattered / reflected light.

Although a very short burst of light pointed directly at them should be ok. Holding a high power laser directly pointed at them will burn them.

It's the colour that gives the protection. Red reflects Blue light. Now it's yellow it won't have the same protection. I would probably not use them.

iAurora

Cheap laser goggles are not designed to have a beam pointed directly at them. They are only designed for scattered / reflected light.

Although a very short burst of light pointed directly at them should be ok. Holding a high power laser directly pointed at them will burn them.

It's the colour that gives the protection. Red reflects Blue light. Now it's yellow it won't have the same protection. I would probably not use them.
Actually it is $39 i don’t know why it happened.

GSS

The glasses look?? like they are Eagles??
You said you saw some videos of safety glass testing and didn't notice them melting or better put scorching a tiny bit from a laser hit from a second or two. This is what they are supposed to do as they stopped a potential accidental laser hit and they would probably stand up to a full minute of a 2W laser before burning through.
These hobby glasses aren't glass and are a Polycarbonate plastic so thats why the scorch mark.
You should be fine using them as that's just a little mark. I would of tested them at a different place though..

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Laser goggles aren't designed for direct contact for long exposure times. They limit the amount of transmittable light that gets through. What happens to the light that wasn't transmitted? It gets partially reflected and absorbed the the goggles. They will save you from a quick flash of your eyeball, but not from a constant exposure. If plastic they will melt. If glass, they will withstand higher exposure times, but with the risk of shattering the glass.

I would not use these goggles now, it's a bit like drilling a small hole in the lens and hoping that you won't get hit where the hole is.
That mark will not protect you in the same way the surrounding area will. You should either purchase a new pair, or patch the mark with something opaque (not recommended).

Get yourself some Eagle Pair goggles from Survival Lasers. Also LPF members get a 10% discount by using the code 'LPF445'.

Edit: From the picture, they look like they was Eagle Pair or at least a very similar set, which in this case get some more.

GSS

iAurora, what does the inside part of the lens look like..
Curtis, that looks just like a scorch rather than a hole. I would never tell someone to use unsafe glasses. Whether they are true Eagle'a they sure look exactly like a pair of Eagles I have which I was surprised how quickly a mark was left when I was just testing spot on the wall with a 2W through them. Looks like the OP did more than a second though??

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I'm not literally stating it is a hole, I'm comparing it being like one. More of an analogy rather than literal statement.
2W will melt plastics quite quickly. 1-2 seconds may sound brief, but in reality it is not. Just count 2 seconds in your head, and imagine 2W of photons heating up the plastic.

I would never tell someone to use unsafe glasses.
I know you wouldn't Peter. :)

Last edited:

iAurora

GSS, i didn’t understand, are you asking the inside part of the goggle?

Since you did not know the results of your test prior
to doing it... Why did you not test the lens near the
edge of the frame in a position you would not normally
look through ???

Like Curtis said... you now have a set of Laser Safety
Goggles with essentially a hole in them in the feild
of view.
Time to get a new undamaged pair....IMO

Jerry

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
You beat me to it, Jerry; why on earth would you aim the beam right in the middle of the lens?
I agree with the others; to be on the safe side, get a new pair of goggles, you only have two eyes.

GSS

GSS, i didn’t understand, are you asking the inside part of the goggle?
The inside of the glasses that your eye's see..
I'm rightly over ruled and you should get a new pair;) $40 for eye safety is just a given:)
Like Curtis mentioned go to Survival Laser's and use their code for %10 off and get new pair within a week or less..

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It doesn't matter. That region will still not be as effective and it is not worth taking the chance with your vision. Ultimately though, this is your choice.

Edit: If this was done in the corner, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. But you did it in your field of view.

Another note. If you etch the surface of plastic, the light can diffuse itself and you will end up with a internal reflections within the material.

Last edited:

GSS

I would look into the yellow orange slip over or standard Eagle's at Survival as they have better visability and are rated a at OD6 and OD5.