Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My freaky PS3 diode..*Update :D *

chido

Ok man, good luck with that. Be sure to post here if you have any more questions. You can always pm me too. ;D

M

mpmitch2000

where did i get 150mw blu-ray ? lets just say i know the right people to get stuff of anyway like i said i hope to make one up soon and i will post pictures and take it from there.
I check my lasers with a laser check meter so i know there are doing the right power.

I also got some 9mm 635nm didoes laying about at 400mw i was thinking of doing a high power pointer with them but not sure on that one yet .

IgorT

Yeah.... We get that a lot here..

You know what, if you have a 405nm diode, capable of 150mW, why not set it to a safe 120-130mW and sell it for $600?
I thought 105mW was done with an overdriven PHR-803T diode...

M

mpmitch2000

Yes i could set it to 120mw or 130mw i will see when i make it up . About PHR-803T they are good diodes i have a few myself that i done alot of testing on and i found running them at 100mw is good but you got to use a good heatsink for them and a good driver to run them safe.

i put a two PHT-803T on a test for a week with one on a good heatsink block module and the other in a cheap red 5mw housing the results was the one in the heatsink block module ran for a whole week no problems at all and is still working fine today the other not so well i got about 2 hours if that out of it and it died and turn into a very dim laser and its all because of the heat .

That why i say if your going to make a DIY laser take your time with it and use a good heatsink i know this might sound strange but its like when you over clock a CPU i know its not good for it but the reason you can doing things like this is because of a good heatsink.

another test i done once is with a 16x 650nm diode i put a good block heatsink module on it and i got 310mw out of it running at 410ma and it run well but its not good for the laser because it was never made to do that power .

IgorT

A 405nm diode at 100mA will dissipate just over 0.4W of heat. A 650nm at 300mA will dissipate ~0.7W of heat and yet the AixiZ module alone can be a good heatsink for it if it's only left on for a minute or two.

The only thing passive heatsinking does is allow you to run it longer at the same current, not necessarily at a higher current...

Can't wait to see if you really have a diode capable of 120-130mW without being heavily overdriven (meaning it is not a PHR-803T). But i kinda doubt it for some strange reson.
Don't know why.. Maybe because a while ago, someone was selling some red diodes from drives that did not exist at those speeds or from that manufacturer. But the specs were the same as with a standard open can + a little exaggeration. And he also got them by knowing someone, who knew someone.. Secrecy seems to be the standard approach.

Unless of course it's a 6x Blue Ray writer, but in that case, why are you acting secretive?

IgorT

mpmitch2000 said:
i put a two PHT-803T on a test for a week with one on a good heatsink block module and the other in a cheap red 5mw housing the results was the one in the heatsink block module ran for a whole week no problems at all and is still working fine today the other not so well i got about 2 hours if that out of it and it died and turn into a very dim laser and its all because of the heat .

This test you did.. What current was it at? 100mW doesn't really tell much, if you don't mention if it's before or after optics and what kind of optics.

Ive figured, i think all ps3 diodes have more than one life.... there like a cat. All my dead ones live once i put 80-100ma in them at 6v

IgorT

toked323 said:
Ive figured, i think all ps3 diodes have more than one life.... there like a cat. All my dead ones live once i put 80-100ma in them at 6v

Yeah, my first PS3 diodes, after they died changed their threshod to 70mA, then they died again and changed the treshold to 140mA, and then they died completelly, but after putting 1.6A through them for a second, they found their treshold at 220mA.

Of course, the power is pathetic, but with a LOT of smoke or fog, they still make a beam.

And what's up with Mitch? I so wanted to see that amazing diode of his in action... :(