Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first red laser build (kit)

Actually this is my first laser build period...

I've got some orders out there with people like Jayrob and FlaminPyro, but they're really swamped and taking a well deserved vacation. Soooo....

I thought I'd try something a little more simpler...This kit comes from OdicForce.com, and is really quite nice, with step-by-step instructions, complete with pictures! for noobs like me.

Anyways, this will probably bore most of you since it's really nothing you haven't seen before, but maybe it will help other noobs out there.

Note: This "kit" is for a 200mW red laser, but I also had to purchase the sled (also available from odicforce) separately and harvest the diode myself.

Total price for kit AND sled: $40.24 (US) ... not bad!

The pictures show from start to finish, beginning with received package. Sorry there are so many.

Hope someone finds this interesting.

Thanks!

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

Forgot to mention that this takes 2 CR2 (3V) batteries (not included in the kit)

Thanks again for viewing, and thanks to all on this forum!

Toke

Nice review/instructions.
And congratulations on your first build. :)

ped

Superb Guide...well done. I have the same kit from Odic myself. +1 for you.

Folder

It's not his guide, guys, read his post. Anyway, awesome job completely first build mate! and thanks for sharing :)

Thanks all for the feedback. I certainly can say that pouring over this forum and reading, reading, reading...before attempting anything, made this a LOT easier.

It's not his guide, guys, read his post. Anyway, awesome job completely first build mate! and thanks for sharing :)

Well I can see where the confusion is. All of the images in this post are my own, and they were not really intended so much as a "guide", but rather a documentary of the build. The "pictures" I referred to that come with the kit can be seen in the first few images as printed pieces of paper (for driver and sled). Hope that clears things up and sorry for the confusion.

How much was shipping, in USD?

Around $10.00 ...but the total I mentioned earlier included the shipping... So for ~$40.00 (US), you get everything seen in this post (except the batteries).

So to be fair...the kit + sled really only costs ~$30.00 (US)

Thanks for pointing this out.

Morgan

Great results there for a first build Kryczeck! Well done. I think these are great kits for the beginner too. Everything you need in one purchase and you get the, 'hands on', with the parts.

Well documented too. Looks like that diode wanted to play the hermit crab and stay in the heatsink! hehe. There is a harvest guide in the first link in my sig that shows a really good, reliable and repeatable way to extract them.

If you do want more power out of this sucker at a later date when you're bored or more confident, (and have goggles! I hope you have goggles! Do you have goggles?), you can comfortably go to around 350mA current draw from your power supply hooked up in the same way as in your photos. The diode will take 420mA but I have seen one, (only one), of these drivers get a bit twitchy at ~375mA.

Good stuff.

M
:)

Great results there for a first build Kryczeck! Well done. I think these are great kits for the beginner too. Everything you need in one purchase and you get the, 'hands on', with the parts.

Well documented too. Looks like that diode wanted to play the hermit crab and stay in the heatsink! hehe. There is a harvest guide in the first link in my sig that shows a really good, reliable and repeatable way to extract them.

If you do want more power out of this sucker at a later date when you're bored or more confident, (and have goggles! I hope you have goggles! Do you have goggles?), you can comfortably go to around 350mA current draw from your power supply hooked up in the same way as in your photos. The diode will take 420mA but I have seen one, (only one), of these drivers get a bit twitchy at ~375mA.

Good stuff.

M
:)

Hey thanks! Yes I wear goggles, always saftey first... Not only is this build a good starter, it really builds one's confidence... so much so, I immediately went ahead and attempted my own DIY out of an old green host that I pot-modded into the grave. You can see the build here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/first-diy-using-old-host-54828.html#post772604

I might try increasing the current some day, but I want to hang on to this one for a while at least, before I go and screw it up :)

Thanks again for the feedback.