Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First Post

gazer101

Hi all,

I just wanted to say hi and show that I'm not a bot.

Quick History:
I built my first successful laser (250mW red) last year from a DVD burner, a driver I bought off Amazon, and an old flashlight.
Last month I built my second laser (1W blue) and gave it to a friend.
By the end of June, I should have built my first green laser (1W).

Thanks for your time

PS:
On that note, do any of you kind folks know if the DB450-3.7-D17-GD circuit from AliExpress is a decent driver (please google it as I cannot post links)?
I need a regulated 1.6-2.0A at 4-6V for my greenie.

Footage of My First Powerful Laser (Yes, I am using an old/free drone headset+camera as protection--I cannot afford goggles lol):

Last edited:

Snecho

Welcome!

The camera headset is a great way to safely enjoy a laser, but you really must get some Eagle Pair Goggles for general safety.

gazer101

Totally agreed, I can even wear them under the headset as extra safety (it has lots of inside space). Do you know anything about the AliExpress driver by any chance though?

Thanks!

Snecho

Totally agreed, I can even wear them under the headset as extra safety (it has lots of inside space). Do you know anything about the AliExpress driver by any chance though?

Thanks!
Lol there's no need to wear them under the mask as well. It's not like the laser beam is going to magically go through another dimension and come through your screen 🤣

Unfortunately I don't know anything about that Ali driver except that the best and most trusted place to buy drivers and parts is from DTR's shop

Welcome to the LPF. Your video is unavailable to me. Don't know if others have the same problem.

Was able to move to YouTube and see it there. Man, you are in a bathroom with a mirror in front of you shining your burning laser all over the place! I have issues with that.

Snecho

Welcome to the LPF. Your video is unavailable to me. Don't know if others have the same problem.
You have to click on the title to open it directly in YouTube as he disabled viewing from external sites.

Yep. I got that. Does anyone besides me see a problem with shining this laser in front of a bathroom mirror? It is burning the plastic can top.

gazer101

Lol not sure what happened to the video (I ain't much of a youtuber). Yeah that's the 1W laser I made before I put it in the host. I barely documented that build and it didn't turn out looking as amazing as I wanted it to, but I'll definitely do much better with my 1W greenie.

FuzzyPancake

Yep. I got that. Does anyone besides me see a problem with shining this laser in front of a bathroom mirror? It is burning the plastic can top.
I'm with you, Paul. Lasing a plastic cap connected to and surrounded by metallic cans right in front of a mirror to demonstrate burning capability is extremely negligent especially given the large gaps in his eye protection.

Gazer, please be more careful. One slip and your retinas...

Last edited:

Snecho

I'm with you, Paul. Lasing a plastic cap connected to and surrounded by metallic cans right in front of a mirror to demonstrate burning capability is extremely negligent especially given the large gaps in his eye protection.

To be honest though he's wearing a drone VR headset that is essentially a full face mask that lets zero light in from the outside and has monitors inside to see through a camera. The only thing that could happen is if the laser bounced off a mirror and burned his shirt or curtains. Not great, but much better than getting hit in the eye...

FuzzyPancake

To be honest though he's wearing a drone VR headset that is essentially a full face mask that lets zero light in from the outside and has monitors inside to see through a camera. The only thing that could happen is if the laser bounced off a mirror and burned his shirt or curtains. Not great, but much better than getting hit in the eye...
Ahh. I see. His eyes were actually very well protected indeed. I didn't think the contraption wrapped around his eyes at all, but i suppose that is to be implied in a VR drone headset which it does appear to be upon closer examination.

Last edited:

Snecho

Ahh. I see. His eyes were actually very well protected indeed. I didn't think the contraption wrapped around his eyes at all, but i suppose that is to be implied in a VR drone headset which it does appear to be upon closer examination.
Yep. Drone FPV goggles, cheap VR headsets and anthing in between basically make an airtight seal around your eyes or face.Fat-Shark-Attitude-V2-Video-Goggles.jpgVR-headset-Alcatel-VR15-goggles-perspective.jpg

gazer101

It's more or less 100% pitch black in there (the goggles) don't worry. I will eventually purchase some proper goggles for extra safety though! The only benefit I see in using my current setup is that I can see all the colours just fine whereas with blue laser goggles I wouldn't be able to see blue at all.