Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first LM317 driver

My new test driver its a LM317 driver. Here is a video showing it and what do you think about the 1 ohm resistor right there so you can read the current while operating a LD with it :)

YouTube - LM317 laser driver

Sorry I dont know how to embed a video lol

Thanks for looking

Justin

Last edited:

Congrats, there not to hard but that second when you hit the power you get that feeling of did i screw something up... then the light comes out and a sigh of relief..

Yeah I know but I used a test load first to set current and with the 1 ohm resistor on there I dont need a test load anymore yay lol

thanks that the tritium keychain that I make :) the link is in my sig but I am no my last run :( Im transferring college and cant make them anymore

kiwi

Nice test rig! But you should put a heatsink on the LM317. Doesn't really need to be at big one, just something.

Your laser diode WILL DIE if you do not make a permanent solder connection to the rest of the driver.
One microsecond is enough to charge the output capacitor and then, when it reconnects it will destroy the diode.

Croc clamps are only a simple mechanical contact which is highly unreliable in job like this.

Quickly proceed to solder the wires of LD to the driver board. Unless you really feel like ordering diodes :p

Very good, it's handy having that 1 ohm resistor there isn't it ;)
You realy do need to solder all diode connections if you can !

AHHH I never thought about the danger of croc clamps I know that if the diode is disconnected and gains the connection it will kill the diode but never thought about the risk of croc clamps!!!! Those clamps are really hard to open they have a really strong spring in them I guess thats why nothing bad has happen yet I will work on getting some solder pads on that driver thanks for the warning guys!!

Also another cool thing I noticed is when I turn on and off the driver with out a load on it the indicator LED looks like it is dissipating the charge in the cap it fades away slowly and when there is a load on the driver the LED just go off immediately correct me if im wrong just a thought tho

Justin