Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First EVER Laser Build - DONE.

Almost a month ago exactly I joined the LPF in hopes of building a sort-of-impressive laser that was bright and somewhat powerful.

I've never built a laser before and be warned - it's a lab laser, it's experimental, and it's UGLY. But it's functional, very bright, and runs nice and cool.

Materials used:
- M140 445nm diode in copper module from DTR's laser shop
- G2 lens
- 1.8A X-drive
- 7.5V 5.34A DC power supply
- 3x3x3 inch solid 6061-T6 aluminum cube (drilled it myself, what a pain in the butt, never doing that again LOL)
- Various wiring and other electrical components that I had laying around

I am now a total laser ADDICT and I couldn't have done this without all your guys' help.

So here it is everyone, my first ever laser build. Enjoy the videos, 1080p is available!

If you can't view the embedded videos, you can watch them here: Part 1 and Part 2

PART 1

PART2

Last edited:

I knew you were going to be first hahaha! How did you fix them? I've been haggling with it for a bit now. Thanks by the way.

EDIT: I figured it out, videos are posted correctly :yh:

Last edited:
Good job, great first laser build. An M140 was my first build too. That's a good sized heat sink, I take it you don't have a drill press? I don't have one either. Stick to smaller chunks of aluminum if your gonna drill it yourself LOL.

Alan

Rifter

Nice laser. Welcome to the forums. What is the longest run time you have run it for so far?

60 grit sandpaper and a nice flat surface can
clean up those rough saw cuts. It takes a bit
of work and time, but well worth it.

Congrats - now that you know a little bit about what you are doing from your hands on work you are just a host and some batteries away from your first handheld. First light is always pretty exciting. Thanks for sharing.

Great job! Very cool! :beer:

I'm curious too to know how long you've been able to safely run it for before shutting it down to cool?

upaa27

Really like the simplicity of the heatsink. Great job!

+rep

Thanks for the comments guys!

Nice laser. Welcome to the forums. What is the longest run time you have run it for so far?

Great job! Very cool! :beer:

I'm curious too to know how long you've been able to safely run it for before shutting it down to cool?

I ran the laser before putting it in the heatsink and within 15 seconds the focusing ring got so hot I couldn't touch it. After putting it in the heatsink with the Arctic Silver compound I can run it for a while. I once ran it for 4 minutes straight and the aluminum around the module and the focusing ring were all cool to the touch. I just haven't gone beyond 4 minutes because I get nervous, but even then it stays cool :D