Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first DIY was easy... (daylight pics)

... thanks to jayrob and kendall! Jay, your stainless 18650 kit is amazing. Thank you DTR for soldering tip.

Sorry for the crappy pics... camera was struggling to capture that beam (looks violet). Maxed out v5 flex/boost and a .455. Aixis glass (nice dot - still tons of burning power). Don't have a LPM yet.

2011-09-14 16.04.14.jpg

2011-09-14 15.32.17.jpg

2011-09-14 15.32.52.jpg

2011-09-14 15.33.01.jpg

2011-09-14 15.47.15.jpg

I know this is a terrible choice for a first DIY attempt. I bet you vets are tired of noobs building lasers like this right out of the gate without the struggles you went through with prices and low power. I could not resist.

This is a death ray and should definitely not be attempted or played with without goggles!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Listen to the veterans on this site. Don't buy any lasers without forking out dough for proper eye ware FIRST!

It burned a hole through the backpack's (in the picture) nylon strap from across the room.

Definitely worth the extra cheese for the AW 18650 2900mah batts.

Got it in the mail today in Florida - Jay shipped it from Cali yeterday... finished the rest of the build while my son took a nap (45 min)... Jayrob is the man.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,
Patrick

Last edited:

This looks very nice..and it isn't by any means terrible!
Everyone have to start at some point ;)

TuhOz

So you built this yourself?
How much it cost overall?

Nice laser! :p

Last edited:
Nah, your shots are nice, and the host is great, very good choice :beer:

I see in the photo that one of the goggles you have are the T-REX,
do not recommend them, this are very bad, and even more with these powers.

Enjoy your new laser ;)

Yeah...the square sheild, lenses blocks the beam very nicely, but I will take suggestions on better glasses. Pure blue light is proven to be more dangerous than other colors (all dangerous) and can cause irreversable damage.

The kit I got from jayrob did include the copper heat sink upgrade...with shipping it was $159 usd. I bought the a140 455nm diode from Kendall at : HighTechDealZ - High Tech DealZ for $55 I believe.

I meant a "terrible" choice in terms of the power...this laser is extremely powerful with a maxed out v5 flex/boost driver. The host body itself and the driver are spectacular. Jayrob is a nice guy and has great customer service. You have to be patient and wait for your order somtimes as a lot of people order from him.

Regards,
Patrick

YOur not an asshole unless u try to bring someone down

I'm not trying to be a asshole (sorry if I was coming off as one) i'm just saying that when all you had to do is press in a diode and solder a couple wires its hardly a DIY.

Should have said kit in the subject - sorry for misleading.

Right in my post I state that I received the "kit" from Jayrob... and "finished the rest of the build." Hope I didn't take away credit with my wording.

642 - Do you actually turn your own hosts and heat sinks, solder up drivers from scratch? Let's see some pictures!

On a side note - I am acquiring an 7" x 12" northern freight mini lathe to attempt just that. I would love to go a step further and make the whole host - going to take me a while, but at least I have several metal shops close by.

Regards,
Patrick

jakeGT

That was my thoughts^^^^

This guy must build his own cars from scratch to call them a DIY and the people who change their own breaks didn't DIY

Should have said kit in the subject - sorry for misleading.

Right in my post I state that I received the "kit" from Jayrob... and "finished the rest of the build." Hope I didn't take away credit with my wording.

642 - Do you actually turn your own hosts and heat sinks, solder up drivers from scratch? Let's see some pictures!

On a side note - I am acquiring an 7" x 12" northern freight mini lathe to attempt just that. I would love to go a step further and make the whole host - going to take me a while, but at least I have several metal shops close by.

Regards,
Patrick
No, but i don't call them a DIY.:p

Either way, it feels good to have a solid build instead of a chinese laser.

I can't imagine this laser with a g-1 lense...i just have aixis glass and it is a monster without even focusing it.

With this "kit," I still pressed my own diode (custom press), soldered the leads, glued aixis glass into focus wheel, quick assembled heat sink and pill into the host to check module depth/focus knob height, disassembled and reset module into heat sink at correct depth so focus wheel bottoms out at infinite focus against host (perfect on first shot), placed back into vice pinching the heat sink and pill together through the host (made custom spacers) without touching (cut finger open doing it by hand the first time), tefloned the lense threads for added friction hold while focusing, disassembled and fixed the positive "clicky tail switch" as there was a sticking problem.

Thanks for showing class JakeGT. Rep +1! If I get to master the lathe and taps/dyes you are going to get my first all aluminum host/heat sink build that is worthy. I'll try to make it look like an arctic!

Last edited: