Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first DIY laser.

anselm

use shrink tube. wrapping electrical tape around it is vastly inferior, an unreliable hack job.
hope you didn't cook the diode, seeing it took so long to solder.

use shrink tube. wrapping electrical tape around it is vastly inferior, an unreliable hack job.
hope you didn't cook the diode, seeing it took so long to solder.

I don't think so. I made 3 attempts with the third one being the most successful. The diode came in contact with the soldering iron for about a sec in each attempt(while heatsinked in the module). So burning it isn't likely in my opinion. I said it took me about an hour because most of the time i was frustrated that the bridge broke and then i stopped for a while to relax. :p
Wrapping electrical tape seemed a bad idea so didn't do it. I might be able to get some shrink tubing tomorrow but i don't know if it is going to be as thin as the diodes pins. I hope it works though.
Oh, and by the way, i am thinking about building this driver. What do you think? After that i ll buy the driver from odicforce. It seemed pretty reliable to me.

anselm

Seems all right then with the diode.

If you have nothing else, insulating tape is better then nothing.
I myself have yet to buy proper sized shrinktubing, the one I use on my car is way too big.

The driver you linked works very nice, is easy and extendable, almost everyone here has
built one.
You can "admire" my own version put to use in the 2nd link in my signature, if you like.;)

I have seen your laser already while browsing the forum. You got quite a monster there, don't you? :lasergun:

Today i went and bought all the necessary components for the driver. I also got some shrink tube. It did a pretty good job!
So i was wondering if the goggles i bought are any good. I don't want to rush and power the laser only to ruin my eyes shortly after.
These are the goggles i bought. I hope they are ok. :undecided:

UPDATE:

I finished working on the laser driver and then i decided it was time to power my diode. Well, it was more like a flashlight. I don't know what could have caused this but there was a certain point about 5-7cm away from the laser where the light concetrated into a very tiny dot. When i put my finger there it stinged a bit :p
Later on i searched on how to concetrate the light in a way that i would be like this diode thing all the way and not just in a spot. So i desoldered the laser module from the driver to do some tweaking. Then i soldered connected the whole thing again and nothing happened.. I think i have just burned my first diode.. R.I.P phr-803t

Last edited: