Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first build and I failed please help

hi folks,

im new in the forum. i just got my 18650 445nm kit from jay roberts and i tried to assemble it. i thought everything went fine, although hammering in the diode into the aixiz module was a bit difficult.

now I switched it on and I got that what u can see on the image in the file attachement. what went wrong? if I remove the lense its the same thing just gets bigger.... distance to wall is about 4-5 meters. is the diode screwed maybe? also i cant tell which one is the right lense since he sent me 2 different ones... a shorter one and and a longer one... one of them must be the 405 G or however its called :D

please help me if u have any ideas... maybe the battery isnt fully charged... just charged it 30mins.

thx in advance! and sry for my english....

greets from germany,
shixxor

Attachments

• IMG_6906.JPG
    IMG_6906.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 185

jayrob

The short plastic lens comes the the AixiZ module. It can be saved for maybe a red build...

The longer lens with the metal nut is the 405-G-1...

I'm not sure why it is not getting focus, but let me ask you about how your diode is pressed in...

Is it pressed in from the back? And is it at least flush with the back of the module? (custom copper module shown, but the principal is the same)
Copper%20module%202.jpg

P.S. See this video of how to harvest and press a diode. He is showing a different diode, but you can see how the pressing is done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byU5vb2BDvw

Last edited:
like that ... same as in your photo i think

about the video... i did it like he did until 6:25 .... what exactly does he do there???? i dont have such a bench vise

Attachments

• IMG_6907.JPG
    IMG_6907.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

jayrob

Couple things...

I think I already warned you about eye protection right?

The back 'barrel' part of the AixiZ module is not used. Just the front 'business end'.

It's better to have the business end inside the heatsink and flush with the face of the heatsink.

And about focus. I'm guessing that you are trying to use the spring with the lens and module??

That would explain the focus problem. The 405-G-1 lens must thread almost all the way into the module. The spring must not be used. (or cut shorter as shown in the documentation that I sent with it)

It's best to just use some Teflon tape and wrap the threads a couple of wraps. If you have 1/4" Teflon tape, it will be perfect...

i just managed to get a nice ray! it was just turning the lens a bit out instead of screwing it in until it is fixed.... but still the dot has this "rice grain" shape and not a round dot... also it doesnt burn black paper.... any tips on how to fasten the lens since it turns aroundand moves easily and how to get a perfect dot?

the "rice" grain is probably your finger print. if the grain stays still while moving just the lens then the window of the laser die is dirty. if the grain rotates then the lens is dirty.

michael

hmm the shape doesnt move, but what windows are u talking about? ive only the diode then lens and thats it

jayrob

i just managed to get a nice ray! it was just turning the lens a bit out instead of screwing it in until it is fixed.... but still the dot has this "rice grain" shape and not a round dot... also it doesnt burn black paper.... any tips on how to fasten the lens since it turns aroundand moves easily and how to get a perfect dot?

These 445 diodes do not have a round dot... See lens comparison with pictures of the dot here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/445nm-a130-lens-comparisons-51456.html

Use 1/4" Teflon tape to give the lens a nice 'snug' fit. (couple of wraps)

shud've posted this in the fail thread then :crackup:
only jk, sure you'll get it working :D
it does just look like a very defocused dot profile, they're supposed to look something like that.

Morgan

To be honest that doesn't seem like a good sign. Jayrob will have set the output perfectly but what setting did you request? Frankly, even just above threshold I would think these diodes would burn pretty good.

When you said you hammered the diode in, you don't mean you literally used a hammer did you? That would be a very bad way to install any diode.

I hope you get this sorted as they are great kits and when up and running you will be amazed!

M
:)