Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First 445nm Build.

My 445nm Aixiz with G2 lense arrived yesterday.

I hadn't touched it yet as my Glasses hadn't arrived. The glasses Arrived today so I put it all together after work tonight. I am keeping all my Lasers as Lab style lasers because of the Pointer laws in Aus.

I must say these are damm bright lasers. I only tested it for a few minets in the night sky around 2.00am and it's like a bloody light sabre. I wouldn't say the beam is visable for that far as the Beam can't be focused at large distances. It doesn't seem to reflect off the clouds like my 532nm and 650nm do.

I soon found out not to smoke while using this Laser. Even a small amount of smoke causes very bright reflections.

I am only running the Diode at 1023ma so it should have good life. I am using an LM317 Regulator. I know Linear regulators are very inefficiant. But I like to build my own drivers.

I machined up a rather large heatsink to mount the Module in. It's in two pieces which bolt together to clamp the module. You can't see that in the Photos.

The LM317 is mounted on the Underside of the top lid for the Box. Directly over that I mounted a nice Heatsink/Fan module to extract the heat from the Regulator. Dont want the Regulator heating up the Diode. Although with the heatsink on the Diode it would probably only raise it a few Degrees.

I wasn't expecting a Rectangular beam. I guess thats what these diodes output. Up close its focasable. But at distance its always rectangular.

Photo's are not real good. Only did them quickly with my Phone.

Charles

Attachments

• 445nm.jpg
    445nm.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 445nm-1.jpg
    445nm-1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

I have always liked things that last and built solid. I am sure i could run that 24/7 and not have any problems.

I just need to find a way to properly calibrate my new LPM i made. Using a small ally plate painted black with thermal glue to a LM335 temperature IC. And a second one for ambient. Similar to the diode one posted on here. But i wanted to use the LM335 hopeing its more accurate.

I tried calibrating it with an industrial 650nm I have which has a certificate stating its 25.8mw output. But I know its not calibrated accurate. I guess that is too low a power to calibrate a high power LPM.

I am getting readings of 300mw for my 12x Bluray which should be around 400-450mw at 400ma with a single glass lense. Could be acrylic lense but not sure. Its a case from a 200mw red removed from a Laser light show.

On my LOC DVD burner diode its reading 200mw at 400ma. Again reading low.

On this 445 i am getting a reading of 890mw which seems quite low. I expect around 1100-1400 with the m140 at 1023ma using a G2 lense.

Dont like the idea of using a resistor to calibrate it. Too much heat from the resistor would be radiated into the Air and not into the target.

Charles

Last edited:
VERY clean build there! I have a heatsink very similar to the one you have except it is thicker. I'd say you could get a continuous cycle out of it but just watch it every now and then. Depending on you power source those Lm317s get hot to but the fan should do a pretty good job. :D

Mike

Had a bit more of a test tonight. Starting to get an idea of how powerfull this diode is even at 1A.

The old Electrical tape was fun with a 50mw Green and a 12x Bluray Violet. Very slow with the 50mw Green but it does cut thru it. The 12x Bluray Violet Pops Black ballons at about 9 feet and can light a Red match. But it does take a bit of practice to get it to light a Red match.

With this M140 at 1A it cuts thru the Black Electrical Tape like a Knife thru butter. About a second or so to fully cut it even at 1 meter away.

I saw the trick with the Black CD case insert on Youtube and decided to give it a try.

WOW, No way did I expect it to cut a hole thru the Black CD case so fast. At about 100mm from the Laser it cut a hole all the way thru in about 1-2 seconds.

This gives some idea on how Dangerous these things are. Even when not pushing them. Anyone who even considers playing with these without glasses wont be playing with them for very long.

I am using a 3 Cell 1800 mah Lipo pack to run my Lasers, That is 12.6 Volts fully charged down to about 9 Volts flat. It's an RC Car Pack. That is about 6 watts accross the LM317 at 1A. With the Heatsink and fan it doesn't even warm up.

Charles

Last edited:

Blord

Very clean build, with an active fan the duty cyle is forever. A 445nm@1A with G2 should give you power around 1.2Watt. That is just an average but that power is plenty enough to burn holes in CD cases and sting the skin immediately.

I havnt been tempted to see how quick it stings the skin. When i got my first decent 50mw green i was in the habbit of putting my finger on the lense when i wanted to block the beam. When i tuned the 50mw green to about 60-70mw the first time i used my finger to cover the lense i wasnt expecting it to sting after 10 or so seconds. I dont do that anymore. This Green has a beutifull beam. Perfect spot and about 1mm diameter beam.

Charles

Last edited: