Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

My DT Coursework

What should I include? Tick all that you think are necessary...

• Waterproofing (IE o-rings, sealing, etc)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Visibilty in dark (IE GITD tailcaps or o-rings, Tritium insert, mini LED or other)

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Multiple brightness settings or strobe

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Battery indicator

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

charliebruce

So basically, for my Design and Technology course, I have to design a product. I've already got the basic idea - a torch with interchangeable heads, say one for light, another attatched to a solar charger, and so on. I've asked my teacher and he says that it is a good idea, so here's the basic concept:

Li-ion battery
Aluminium lathed body
LED emitter and regulator
Charger circuit
Tail switch

I expect that it will end up looking a bit like a Kryton, but with some major changes to the head to fit a reflector in.

I still need to decide on my feature set, so, if I were aiming at campers or outdoorsy people, which do you think will be most relevant?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

robjdixon

Whilst in reality I think that waterproffing is the most important in a camping situation, I would go for something a little out of the ordinary. I would go for multiple modes, and a plug in charger, so you never need to take out the battery. A cree M-CE emitter should give that WOW factor, and run at low currents, it is still very bright.
You seem to know a lot about this, so as long as it shows ingenuity, and something a little different, you will be fine