Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My DIY burner! Now with video!! :)

what do ya mean neither work? mabe it works, and you dont know it...

Things

ive been down that same trail with the LM317, it doesn't ouptu anything, and the diode doesn't light up. I dunno why, maybe i have a wrong or faulty component.

Dude_With_Lasers said:
Anyone wach the vid?

yup i did

just finished HW

make sure ur resistors are in the same direction as in the PCB pic by DDL, the gold facing certain way. make sure rectifier is not backwards, because if it is, its shorting everything, and nothing gets to your diode. Mkae sure good cap. turn down pots, make sure ur not using a resistor with too much resistance. if nothing works, then u prolly have a faulty LM317T

regards,

amk

Things

the resistor orientation shouldn't matter, they are the same resistance either way. I watched the vid just then, Impressive! What was that infront of the balloon? paper to stop it from popping?

Gazoo

There are 2 main reasons the 317 isn't working properly. Daedal's circuit needs at least 6 volts for the regulator to maintain a constant current to the diode...but we have already been over this.

The other reason is if you are following the pin numbers on the schematic Daedal posted, they are wrong. Let's take a look at it and I will show you how easy it is... :)

Attachments

• 317_002.jpg
    317_002.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 239

Gazoo

In the picture above is the LM317 facing towards you. All you need to do to get it to work is to solder a 5 ohm resistor between the output and adjust. You can use two 10 ohm resistors in parallel to make a 5 ohm resistor if needed. This will supply 250ma's of current to the laser diode.

It is clear where the positive from your power supply should be soldered to on the 317....the Vin.

Take a wire and solder it to the adjust on the 317, and then solder the other end to the positive on your laser diode.

The capacitor should be soldered directly to the laser diode and I have been using 10uf 16 volt capacitors. It will fit in the aixiz module as long as the leads are cut short enough. But the capacitor can be put in anywhere between the LM317's adjust and the ground wire. Make sure you get the polarity of the capacitor right or it will pop like a firecracker.
The negative side of the capacitor should be marked with an arrow with a minus (-) sign.

The ground wire goes directly between your power supply and the negative pin on the laser diode. As long as all your solder connections are good you will not have any problems. That's it...easy enough.... ;)

yea man,
I thought when you said it failed, you were using 6V, cuz in the schematic it says 6V. Use more, use CR123's. now that I see it, I put my laser through some tests and gazoo was right, 4AAA batteries sag VERY VERY fast. i might upgrade soo.

Gazoo, what happecns to the rectifier for reverse polarity protection in that circuit u talked about? also, wouldnt you have to grind down the tab on the LM to make it fit in AIXIZ?

to dude w/lasers

put some electrical tape around the circuit and everything before you put in aixiz module, to prevent shortage. shortage=BAD trust me...

regards,

amk

Gazoo

The 317 will not fit in the Aixiz module. I said the capacitor does... :p The silicon diode is optional. Assuming you have everything wired up correctly, you don't need it. I did accidentally hook the voltage up the circuit backwards once. Nothing happened...everything still worked when I hooked it up correctly. Daedal said I was lucky...so don't try this with your laser diode in the circuit. ;)

BTW, you will have the same problem with two CR123's. If you use two RCR123's you will be good to go.

Gazoo said:
The 317 will not fit in the Aixiz module. I said the capacitor does... :p The silicon diode is optional. Assuming you have everything wired up correctly, you don't need it. I did accidentally hook the voltage up the circuit backwards once. Nothing happened...everything still worked when I hooked it up correctly. Daedal said I was lucky...so don't try this with your laser diode in the circuit. ;)

lol okay.

I will try and get the all in one aixiz working, as it will be cool and compact, to have it all regulated in aixiz. BTW, the bluefusion drivers, how big are they? would they work? thanks

Gazoo said:
Make sure you get the polarity of the capacitor right or it will pop like a firecracker.

<offtopic> if you put caps in backwards they will pop?, i thought they just wouldn work, i need to get a electrolityc cap and wire it backwards with a switch and try it oustide ;D, i wonder how big the pop is?</offtopic>

....lazer....
;D ;D ;D

Gazoo

The bigger the capacitor the bigger the pop... ;D It is not an explosion or anything but it is kinda fun to blow them up... ;D

Watch out for flying debris... ;D Seriously be careful and protect your eyes.

doodw/lazers

hows mom thing coming along?

I suggest you upgrade ur laser ASAP

amkdeath said:
doodw/lazers

hows mom thing coming along?

I suggest you upgrade ur laser ASAP
No, she already took it away....
I think I have a way to get her to give it back...
Hope it workes. :-/
Btw, Look: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6QARpQtVqM[/media]

Howd you get it back?...I remember havin to keep telling my mom that ill be responsible if i build a diy red laser and finally she let me, cept now its dead from reflecting the light back into it :'(

....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D