Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My diode die?

O, sorry. I misread that... guess maybe i should try another driver.

Last edited:

Fiddy

yeah maybe one designed for a laser that has a continous negative...or just choose diodes that are case isolated!

Drivers that are negative continuous can't be used with reds that use the case pin as negative.

Hey just curious is this correct? I'm still learning about all this, but I thought if the negative was continuous it wouldn't be a prob? If the driver regulated on the neg side then it would...:thinking:

@TacoHerder it sounds very much like the prob RyanElectro had here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/pesky-12x-diodes-74518.html, albeit with a different driver. :beer:

Hey just curious is this correct? I'm still learning about all this, but I thought if the negative was continuous it wouldn't be a prob? If the driver regulated on the neg side then it would...:thinking:

It is true, if the driver is negative continuous then it will kill the diode if it uses the case pin as its negative pin. That's why some simple linear drivers like LM317 regulators with a resistor soldered across the Vout and Adj pins are sometimes the best option. All this means is look for the appropriate driver for the diode you are looking to use.:beer:

um, dont mean to thread jack, but i have a LPC-826 build running at 456mA from a ghostdrive2. it is working fine, but should i do some isolating stuff to make sure it doesnt die? or is the driver going to take care of it, cause im not using the case pin as negative, it is just bare

Isn't the ghostdrive2 a relatively simple linear driver? I would think that I've it was going to break, it would have broken by now. Try to look around in the Test Load, Drivers, And Batteries section of the forum for the info on the Ghostdrive2.:beer:

hmm, well i did use phobya 2 part thermal glue inbetween the host and heatsink, so there isnt any contact of metal with the heatsink as far as i know that will disrupt the whole setup, so i think im safe

Like I always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't start a problem, won't be a problem :D.

Hoping all of the other driver issues are solved :beer:.