Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Core....

Comidt

Hi
I just got my core like an hour ago, my first green laser too. Man, it's sooo cool.  :cool: :cool: :cool: I would seriously say that everyone should get one... ::)

Just one thing I noticed is that after a second of it running, a halo on one side of the dot appears for about two seconds, then it fades away and it is fine. Why is this? Does anybody know? Could it be the green led that is covered up?

There is a pic to show you what I mean: :)

And I have to say it again, this thing is soooooo cool. ;D ;D ;D
Thanks Again ;)
Jonno

Attachments

• Picture_10.jpg
    Picture_10.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 108

Hi there Jonno.

That is completely normal for a green DPSS laser as it warms up. It looks almost like an Internal reflection of somekind, but is actually a peculiar mode hop. My old CNI used to do that in cold conditions, or with poor batteries. If this bothers you then there is a cure. Use Lithium batteries like Energiser Lithium. They are more expensive than regular alkalines but are well worth it for the power increase. I guarantee if you use Lithiums you will never see this effect again.

Jase

Comidt

Thanks.
Its not really a problem. I will buy lithiums sometime, just to see how it is. Surely they must damage the laser though, over-voltage and stuff like that?
It does the same with rechargeables. But i'm getting in some eneloops soon, apparentl they are the best AAA rechargeables available.

Thanks
Jonno

Comidt

Here is an undoctored video of it ;)

Attachments

• Video_1.wmv
    75.6 KB · Views: 43
S

SenKat

Comidt - Eneloops are great marketting, and they hold thier charge longer on the shelf maybe, but I will pit my $4.96 Wal-Mart specail NiMh generic batts against Enelopes, cantaloupes, energizers, or any other non-lithium rechargable, in any device, and mine will win hands down :)  Not talking bad at you, lots of peeps have fallen for the marketting hype of those things...if you have the need to store them for long periods of time, they would win - but just simply taking them off the charger, and see which ones last longer ?  Mine are 1000Mah AAA's - they work incredibly well.....

Lithiums will not damage most greenies - the circuitry that drives the IR diode protects it very well against over voltage (as long as you don't go nuts and slam 12 volts through it somehow !). Lithiums can actually assist the diode by having it perform at top efficiency - amount of current used, per miliwatt output...

I can Assure you Jonno that once you try Lithiums for the first time, in a green, you really wont use any other battery. As Senkat said, the Current Protection in Greens will protect you , and you will be instantly hooked on the extra brightness and no warmup time of your "Core".

Jase

Things

yes, those eneloops are good. They were the first rechargeable batteries that i used in my DX 20. And when my 30 gets here (eventually) i am planning to use them on that too. Does anyone know if they like being charged when not fully discharged?

Comidt

OK Senkat I get it now. ;)
I've already bought them off Amazon and sent them to my grandparents in the USA, and they're gonna bring them over when they come back to South Africa.
The eneloops are 900 mAh and they are only like $3 each, so I'm willing to try it out.
What actually makes eneloops so special? They say on the website that you can take like 500 pics in a digital cam befor they go flat, and the E2 Lithiums say the exact same thing...

I will tell you how they compare when I get them, but I suppose that won't help cause I don't jave a power meter. :-?

Maybe someone with a power meter should get hold of some eneloops and try them out.

I will tery lithiums sometime, but they are quite expensive. Do they last longer? Do you get them in rechargeable form?

Thanks
Jonno

Comidt

Oh, so does anybody actually know what is happenning or is it a mode hop like Tallaxo said?

Thanks
Jonno

I am pretty sure it is a mode hop or warming up artifact. My CNI used to show that same halo, it used to sweep around like a radar display, then settle into TEM01 mode before settling into TEM 00 when warmed up and stablised. Like I said, when I switched to Lithiums , with the extra voltage Kick, I never saw this again.

Jase

Comidt

It's sorta kinda stopped doing it now ;D ;D

I thinik it was just getting run in or something, but It hasn't done it the whole day!!

So Thanks Guys
Jonno

S

SenKat

Well - if it has stopped, then chances are you may be okay ! :) How's that for middle of the road ? LOL !!!