Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 445nm portable laser

Hello everybody, i'm new with lasers and I'll make a 445nm laser, i'd like a opinion for what I gonna do.

Diode: A140
Driver current: 700mA
Battery: 14500 3.7V 900mAh

How much Will be:
Aixiz 405 lens: $10 + $3 shipping (OK) (Ebay)
Diode: $54 (OK) (Daguin)
Flashlight: $13 (OK!) (HighTechDealz)
Aixiz Module: $3.05 (OK!) (HighTechDealz)
Battery: $2.65 (OK) (HighTechDealz)
Driver (Boost Drive): $30 (OK!) (Dr. Lava)
Headskin: $27 with shipping (Jayrob)

Total: $115 without the headsink

My questions:

Q: I can power my laser with my battery (3.7v 900mAh)?
A: Yes, will work fine with V5 FlexDriver and BoostDrive (Thanks Jayrob)

Last edited:

What will you be using for a heatsink?

To answer your question, the 14500 can power your laser to a certain mA.

What current are you planning on using for the diode?

In the real, someone can suggest a host for my laser for me. I'll only spend $ 120. I'm planning to use 600ma of current.

What will you be using for a heatsink?

mpmsfilho,

XCreedX's question about the heat sink is an important one for two reasons. One, even at 600mA the LD and the driver will generate heat which needs to be dissipated and, second, how will you holding the aixiz module once it is "sticking" out of the window of the host?

:)

I'll only buy the headsink. I've a question the headsink dissipate the heat?

Last edited:
if you wanted you could probably go higher on current safely. many are running much higher and doing ok so far, as shown:
wrdr8o.jpg

jbtm

Theres some people running these over 2Amps, I would beleive 700mA is fine, I do 650mA without any issues, I use to do many runs of 5-minutes at 950mA.

If I turn on my laser in my bedroom when is dark and I look to the beam what gonna happen with my eyes?

If I turn on my laser in my bedroom when is dark and I look to the beam what gonna happen with my eyes?

Not for indoor use without the right safety glasses. One hit on a reflective surface and you may be the trouble. Reflective surfaces can be as simple as a business card or your table lamp.

oic0

The intense blue light from whatever its hitting will damage your color vision temporarily or permanently depending on the exposure. Any bit of the beam that makes it back to your eyes will permanently damage your vision.

Also, you don't want any headskin, aka dandruff, in your laser. Heat sinks work much better at dissipating heat. :beer:

Kevlar

You should probrably read more about safety before building a laser such as this.

I will buy the headsink from jayrob but when the flashlight arrive in my house i'll need to take de sizes of the head of the flashlight.

(sorry,i've a bad english)