Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 2 new laser builds(beamshots added)

Rifter

So i ordered all the parts for my 2 builds over the past month and ironically the final parts to complete both builds arrived today.

I built a Osram PL450B @ 200ma(Thanks DTR Laser) in a Black C6 host with Blue heatsink and extended focus ring(Thanks Survival Laser)

I also built a Osram PL520 @ 250ma(Thanks DTR Laser) in a camo 501B host(Thanks Mrcrouse)

Sorry for lack of pics and poor quality pics, i was going to do a full on build list with pics but assembling these things was brain dead simple, with the already soldered drivers from DTR and diodes already pressed in module there really isnt alot to do, 2 solder connections per laser and you are good to go. Its almost lego easy :)

I ordered some extra external lens springs from survival laser as i dislike teflon tape and internal lens springs.

Also my work phone kept ringing i probably made 20 phone calls in the 30 min it took me to assemble these so just wanted to finish them and didnt worry about pics to much, if you have any questions about the build process feel free to ask.

Also the small heatshrink came in real handy jeff aka flaminpyro so thanks! I recommend anyone purchase some if they are going to make any small gauge solder connections. So much better than electrical tape.

So here are some pics, ill add some beamshots later guys i promise!

C6/PL450B build unassembled:

501B/PL520 build unassembled:

C6 LPM:

501B LPM:

I know you cant read the PL450B on the LPM for some reason in the pic but it reads 179.8mw The PL520 as you can see hits just shy of 80mw. Both those tests were done with 3 element glass lens.

Im impressed with the PL450b it hit about 30mw above what i was expecting, i must have got a good binned diode :)

For anyone wondering i DID NOT use the torch lighter in the unassembled 501b pic to do the soldering(that would be really funny though watching someone try and solder 26 gauge wire with a torch) it was strictly for shrinking the heatshrink i have a adjustable temp weller iron that i used with the smallest tip they make for the soldering.

Tips for the builds would be to make sure you dont twist the wires too much when assembling the C6 build(anyone who has built one knows what i mean, and anyone who hasnt it will be very obvious when you see it in person)

And make sure you use 63/37 solder(never use 60/40 IMO no point of ever buying it) and pre-tin the wires with a healthy amount of solder first and making the connections will be a piece of cake.

Now some beamshots:

Last edited:

Rifter

Re: My 2 new laser builds

some final assembled pics:

Last edited:

upaa27

Those look sweet! Especially like the camo! :beer:

Is that 3 element glass lens working OK on the PL520? When I first built mine I tried using one and the splash was terrible so I had to change to an acrylic lens.

Alan

Rifter

Is that 3 element glass lens working OK on the PL520? When I first built mine I tried using one and the splash was terrible so I had to change to an acrylic lens.

Alan

It's fine, I get the same ring a foot or so from the dot that I get on my lpc-826 with a 3 element lens(I guess that ring is normal for 3 element ?)

I would say there is more splash around the dot with a g2 lens from the wings than with a 3 element.

It's a blue ar coated 3 element I'm using from dtr FYI.

Wings from a G2? I have 2 lasers with a G2 and am about to put together a 3rd and they both have no splash at all, I always get the bat wings splash from a 3 element and never a ring. I have two 3 element lens and they both produce the same result.

Alan

Rifter

Wings from a G2? I have 2 lasers with a G2 and am about to put together a 3rd and they both have no splash at all, I always get the bat wings splash from a 3 element and never a ring. I have two 3 element lens and they both produce the same result.

Alan

Strange, I find that he dot is a lot cleaner(less splash) with a 3 element vs a g2. Perhaps my 3 elements are backwards but then you would think they would not be functional and lpm OK lol.

Edit to add:
The pl450b looks a lot more blue in person than In that picture above where it looks very violet tinted, it's actually very blue. Almost a royal blue.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter

Lookin good Rifter, two sweet little builds! The camo host goes well with the 520nm. :D
Your PL450B build reminds me that I need to get busy and finish up mine.

Rifter

Lookin good Rifter, two sweet little builds! The camo host goes well with the 520nm. :D
Your PL450B build reminds me that I need to get busy and finish up mine.

I'm really liking the pl450b its really nice. I don't like the dot on it as nice as the pl520 for whatever reason but I really like the beam on it, it seems to go forever into the sky and I really like the colour.

Excellent work Rifter! Can't wait to see the beam shots! :beer:

Especially want to see the PL450B beam shot. Can't wait for Jayrob to finish a copper heatsink & aluminum focus adapter for my next build which is another Playmates Classic Phaser (but blue mod this time) with the PL450B set to 250mA (acquired from DTR & ready & waiting) so seeing the beam shot from your PL450B build will give me a good idea of what to expect. :)

Rifter

Excellent work Rifter! Can't wait to see the beam shots! :beer:

Especially want to see the PL450B beam shot. Can't wait for Jayrob to finish a copper heatsink & aluminum focus adapter for my next build which is another Playmates Classic Phaser (but blue mod this time) with the PL450B set to 250mA (acquired from DTR & ready & waiting) so seeing the beam shot from your PL450B build will give me a good idea of what to expect. :)

Don't worry when I get home from work I'm going to bust out the tripod and try and get some good long exposure beam shots.

Rifter

Just did some lpm tests with a real g2 lens(not a knock off, purchased from survival laser) and the pl450b put down a respectable 224.6mw, the pl520 put down 98.6mw.

About what you would expect from going up from a 3 element.

The beam looked better on both with the g2. However the dot looks cleaner with the 3 element so I'm unsure which lens to use lol.