Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 1st DIY 1.6W 445 handheld (Image heavy)

I got a lathe 4 days ago and have been learning how to use it.
I figured "what better way then to make a heatsink?" ^_^
Took a few attempts to get something I liked but this is what I came up with:
The first attempt was supposed to go under the glass of the flashlight host and fit exactly like a p60 drop in (waterproof FTW!!!) but The wire I have ordered from flaminpyro hasn't showed yet and the wire I do have was going to break the leads of the diode off... Need more room
Back to the drawing board.
This was the second attempt, remove the glass stick the heatsink out in front
PA140005.jpg

I screwed up and made the relief for the board a little too big plus I got some chatter in a couple of places and made the part sticking out the front a little too narrow.
My third attempt I decided not to bother with the "negative terminal spring" and just made it to fit perfectly just as the threads bottom out. I also made the front part a bit longer because the 2nd one looked a bit stubby :crackup:
PA140002.jpg

The driver I used is easily obtained, producing 1.495mA steady (tested on a dummy load for 2 minutes), and very inexpensive (~$3) but I don't condone a step 1. step 2. step 3. approach to building a potentially dangerous laser. If a couple of the veterans think its a good idea, I'll edit the info in later but it is just a little too easy to do and even someone with no idea of the capacity could build this laser.
I'm planning a build with a bigger (read "wider") heatsink in another ultrafire host (top in the next pic) and keep that one under the glass. Are the back reflections hard on the diode at 1.6W?
PA140338.jpg

From the top, this is an
ultrafire SSC P7-D emitter host,
Stainless steel Cree R2,
The 445 build with the 3rd attempt heatsink completed and ready to lase,
an 18650 battery for size reference ^_^
Of course there has to be at least one beamshot with such a pretty color :na:
PA130334.jpg

Hope you like my 1st build.

Last edited:

Thanks 00Giorge,
no LPM sorry, I just went by the current + lens type others had used and gave a guess ;)

this one is a smithy 1200 I think, I got it used for $350 canadian and spent about $400 on tooling.
The milling machine attached to it hasn't had any use yet but I should be able to figure that out pretty easily ;)

Hey AUTO, about how large is your lath all together? Just wondering, looks like you got a pretty nice deal on yours.

sorry for the LATE reply man, the lathe is a "smithy 1200" they seem like a decent deal new as well. Shipping would be a bugger though :crackup:
I think its a 9" swing and a 3' bed. The main problem is that the milling machine is a set distance from the chuck and without removing the chuck, I only have 2" of travel on the x axis... I think I'm going to get a better milling vice though, its only about $100

Kevlar

Nice work Auto. :beer:

So do we have another LPF member that will be able to provide us heatsinks?

I can but it seems like the headaches of shipping aren't worth it.
I'm a carpenter by trade so most of this stuff is 2nd nature but I tend to make things a little too close. I had to buy a cylinder hone today because in a steam engine I am working on the piston was .001mm under the cylinder size and I guess that was a little too close.
The heatsink I made yesterday for the little stainless aurora 18650 hosts had the same problem. You have to KNOW it will go in and even then, the machining burrs on the host's threads scraped up the sides of my pretty new heatsink :( lol
I could make heatsinks for you but it wouldn't be for any more money than the aluminum bar stock (and shipping) is worth.
I'm not in it for the money, it's just the experience that I'm interested in.
I have even been dumpster diving (with permission) in my buddies scrap metal bin (he owns a couple of welding/oilfield supply shops)
:crackup:
You would need to send the host to me, a note saying what you want done with the host and a couple of bucks for raw material ^_^
The other option is just dimensions. I can figure pretty much any crude drawing out :p
*I haven't bought an 8mm X 0.5 thread tap for the lenses if you wanted a direct pressfit heatsink.
It's $37 and I don't think it would pay for itself.
What I have done is machined down an aixiz module and it will pressfit into the heatsink without the chrome in the way.
I'll assemble the next laser and post some pics as soon as I get my flexies ;)

kobi g

Very nice build man,
You have a huge heatsink that can take more then 1.6w (you need heatsink for the driver for it.)
I loved the huge heatsink :)
I have the same WF-501B host I want to use for a high power laser and I'm intersted in a good HS.
Can you make me one the same as you have with your third attempt.

I'd also be interested if you would like to make some more practice runs for experience like you were saying.

Sure, I don't know what the shipping is worth getting it back to you but I'll only charge that plus a few bucks for the aluminum. I need the sizes though ;) if it under 1" (example. "aurora cree R2") it will be cheaper, if it is over 1 1/4" it will be more expensive. I also might have to get some material shipped so it might take a bit longer but I can knock a heatsink of any dimensions out in about an hour tops.
I went out yesterday and bought a whole bunch of milling machine tooling too, I should be able to figure out the more intricate stuff but have no experience with it thus far so it might not be as professional :crackup: