Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my 1st 405nm laser build went wrong,I need help

hisuiibmpower4

Since this is my first laser build I'm testing compoents before assembling.I found laser LD is very dim and LD outter casing is too hot to torch.I live in shanghai China all my laser parts are from Taobao thus I can't provide brands and type.So I'll provide photos instead hope someone here can recognize them64516this is the driver board64517this is the laser LD
laber on LD is incomplete only claimed it's 405nm wavelength,5-50mw,working current 30-80mA

After I conncet the dirver board to power source(a dc to dc transformer)input voltage measure on board is 3.3v same as I set on transformer,out put is 22v without LD and 5v when ld is conneted,LD lit up but too dim to see and become very hot only after a short time(around 10sec).
Can anyone here point out what's wrong with this setting?thx for ur help
pic the whole setting

diachi

Did you use a test load to set the drive current?

Did you short the output of the driver after having it output 22V? The output capacitor charges to that voltage, so if you connect your diode without discharging that you kill the diode instantly.

You need a heatsink/module for that diode. That's why it's getting so hot so quickly.

405nm also isn't very bright in the first place, not sure how bright you're expecting it to be. The dot from a 50mW 405nm is as bright as 0.25mW at 532nm.

Last edited:

hisuiibmpower4

Did you use a test load to set the drive current?

Did you short the output of the driver after having it output 22V? The output capacitor charges to that voltage, so if you connect your diode without discharging that you kill the diode instantly.

You need a heatsink/module for that diode. That's why it's getting so hot so quickly.

405nm also isn't very bright in the first place, not sure how bright you're expecting it to be. The dot from a 50mW 405nm is as bright as 0.25mW at 532nm.
thx for mention me of the capacitor thing,I'm not aware without discharge the capacitor even disconnect the power there is still plenty of energy inside.Below the is the pic I took during 1st test run it's quite luminance ,compare with the photo I posted above do u think LD is damaged?
6452330F94D801AD379A46B89FFA865D549BC.jpg

Coonie

Ouch. How long do you run it without it in a module?? You're damaging it every time you turn it on :O

Coonie

I'm not sure what diode that is and what it can handle but honestly I wouldn't even turn it on at all especially if it's too hot to touch. You're gonna have to desolder it anyway to put it in an aixiz module. I recommend a copper one from DTR or another reputable source. You can also use a less expensive aluminum one. Those are good enough for lower power diodes such as the one you have. Laser diodes should be babied know what I mean? I always make sure to keep that in mind when I make something.

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/copper-laser-diode-modules/12mm-copper-modules

Last edited:

diachi

I'm not sure what diode that is and what it can handle but honestly I wouldn't even turn it on at all especially if it's too hot to touch. You're gonna have to desolder it anyway to put it in an aixiz module. I recommend a copper one from DTR or another reputable source. You can also use a less expensive aluminum one. Those are good enough for lower power diodes such as the one you have. Laser diodes should be babied know what I mean? I always make sure to keep that in mind when I make something.

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/copper-laser-diode-modules/12mm-copper-modules

I don't even like soldering them without first putting them in a module. Helps keep them cool and ensures any FOD is kept away from the window.

Hi
Wow I seen the pic of you running that with no heat sink not good at all even at a low cycle. You need this BE74E585-5196-4E7A-BCA4-D77EC97E6B74.jpeg9320DF03-6B34-4178-ABD3-EBA056CA6089.jpeg

You should definitely press this into at least a Chinese Aixiz type module. You can get these for as little as $2.00 each on eBay. I sometimes run a diode for short periods without a module when measuring the wavelength, but this is only just above threshold.

Unpairedelectron01

You appear to be Chinese, so I'll type my response in Chinese.

你好,欢迎来到LPF,我个人认为全网上最好的激光爱好者论坛。从你发的照片来看,你的激光二极管和驱动版比较匹配。要注意的是,激光二极管必须放在散热器里(也就是他们说的Aixiz Module,淘宝上搜“激光五金件”会找到。)而且,这个五金件对于高功率激光二极管来说是不够的(100mW以上),这样的还需要把五金件放入更大的散热器。我怀疑你是因为没有散热把激光二极管烧坏了,不过不用担心,这是进入这个爱好难免的事,所以刚开始建议用一些便宜的二极管。还有什么问题你可以来问我。

Coonie

你好,欢迎来到LPF,我个人认为全网上最好的激光爱好者论坛。从你发的照片来看,你的激光二极管和驱动版比较匹配。要注意的是,激光二极管必须放在散热器里(也就是他们说的Aixiz Module,淘宝上搜“激光五金件”会找到。)而且,这个五金件对于高功率激光二极管来说是不够的(100mW以上),这样的还需要把五金件放入更大的散热器。我怀疑你是因为没有散热把激光二极管烧坏了,不过不用担心,这是进入这个爱好难免的事,所以刚开始建议用一些便宜的二极管。还有什么问题你可以来问我。

Translation for everyone else is:
"Hello, welcome to LPF, I personally think that the best laser enthusiast forum on the Internet. From the photos you sent, your laser diodes match the driver version. It should be noted that the laser diode must be placed in the radiator (that is, they say the Aixiz Module, Taobao search "laser hardware" will find.) Moreover, this hardware is not enough for high-power laser diodes ( More than 100mW), this also requires the hardware to be placed in a larger radiator. I suspect that you have burned out the laser diode because there is no heat dissipation, but don't worry, this is an inevitable thing to enter this hobby, so I just started to recommend some cheap diodes. What else can you ask me?"

Reactions: GSS

GSS

I would also stop using jeweler's as it's easy to short out a driver and switch to a ceramic ones..

hisuiibmpower4

thx for your reply I do read English:).I've ready purchased those laser housing.But during my 1st try I mistaken them as lens holder, don't regard them as important heatskin,that dead LD is very cheap 2.9RMB yuan