Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 100mW focusable can't light matches

Hey,
I recently got my SD-301 Focusable 100mW green laser burner from DX.
It's really good but it doesn't light matches. I played with the focus a lot to get to the smallest point, and then I popped balloons without black dots.
then, I tryed to light a match and nothing happend. I painted the match's head with black and then I held it ageinst the laser real close and not even smoke.
however, it engraved black plastic and raised smoke.
Please help :)
Tnx, Oren.

I don't know a lot about burning yet (my 200mw DX POS should be here today) but I think you need to use "strike anywhere" matches because I think safety matches require both a chemical compound from the striker as well as heat... I could be wrong though.. Someone who has done it can chime in but in the mean time try some "strike anywhere's"

Here in Israel we don't have strike anywere matches, and I don't use safty match

Either it's a "strike anywhere" or a "safety" match. Take the match and run it along some rough concrete and see if it lights. If it doesn't it's probably a safety match... Many matches are safety matches and they don't really say that they are anywhere. This is so you or children can't accidentally light it by rubbing it against something.

Your SD-301 Focusable 100mW green laser probably outputs less than 100mW. If you want to know this for sure, you're gonna have to LPM it.

Basically, a laser, any laser, burns at its best on the focal point.

Under the circumstances, I can advise you to try different distances until you find the focal point in which the laser will light the match.

If the laser has enough power, it will light the match at the focal point even if the match is a "safety match".

Good luck!

i have a DX sd-306 "50mw"
and it can pop balloons, carve black plastic, and light matches
try charging your batteries
im thinking maybe i got an overspec one? :confused:

Last edited:

Denson

i have a 150mw 532nm glp, i can light both matchs, but i heard even a 100mw can light both kinds of matchs, maybe ur battery not charged enough? and if u give the laser and the match some kind of space between roughly a half inch it will burn better :)

Actually I found a sweetspot in the beam that once the head of the match touching it it turns on :)
so if they lock threads here, thank you, you can lock this one :D