Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MXDL

Hi,
I'm going to make MXDL lasers for my friends soon. What I want to know is how or can I attach a rkstr driver to the circuit board on the MXDL. The previous guides didn't cover that or I didn't read it properly. I'm going to use Jayrobs heatsink.

Thanks.

Put the rkcstr in the Aixiz module, solder the wires from it to the correct points on the MXDL PCB, Job done :)

To find the correct points you need to remove the PCB, unsolder the LED circuit, then with the meter, set to circuit test, touch one lead to the battery contact then use the other lead to find which pad it connects to on the other side of the board....That is where you solder the positive lead.
Next hold on meter lead on the ring of tinned copper (surrounding the positive contact) and find which pad it connects to on the other side with the other lead.... That is where your neg wire goes, (the flashlight case will give another path for the neg if you are using a SenKat red).

Hope that hepls

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
Put the rkcstr in the Aixiz module, solder the wires from it to the correct points on the MXDL PCB, Job done :)

To find the correct points you need to remove the PCB, unsolder the LED circuit, then with the meter, set to circuit test, touch one lead to the battery contact then use the other lead to find which pad it connects to on the other side of the board....That is where you solder the positive lead.
Next hold on meter lead on the ring of tinned copper (surrounding the positive contact) and find which pad it connects to on the other side with the other lead.... That is where your neg wire goes, (the flashlight case will give another path for the neg if you are using a SenKat red).

Hope that hepls

Regards rog8811
Thanks for the little guide. I'm going to use a senkat diode and run it at 400ma with jayrobs heatsink. hope the diode holds up well in the heatsink...

I'm going to use a senkat diode and run it at 400ma
Even with a good heatsink like the one you are going to use you will need to think "duty cycle" as you will be at the top end of the power graph for that LD.

Best of luck with the build.

Regards rog8811

jayrob

freshert said:
... I'm going to use a senkat diode and run it at 400ma with jayrobs heatsink. hope the diode holds up well in the heatsink...

Oh man! Senkat diodes are the best for the price, especially if you don't want to hassle with harvesting a DVD. But 400mA's will be pushing it very hard! Even 350mA's is up there at the 'knee'. Here's Hemlock Mike's graph:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1206910274
I personally like 294mA's for this diode. This is what you will get with a DDL driver, using a 4.3 ohm resistor. This should put you right around 200mW's with an AixiZ acrylic lens. (heatsinked)
Jay

PEZ

If i were to run a senkat diode at 400mA with good heatsinking... what would be the best expected lifetime and what would be a good duty cycle?

I'm not really familiar with the insides of the MXDL, but I've considered doing this build with a rkcstr driver aswell. Since the rkcstr driver will be regulating the current, couldn't you just remove the old MXDL driver/LED assm completely and run the pos & neg wires directly from the rkcstr driver to the battery?

Stupid question: is the MXDL body made of plastic or aluminum?

And is DX the only place to buy the MXDL?

RattleHead said:
I'm not really familiar with the insides of the MXDL, but I've considered doing this build with a rkcstr driver aswell. Since the rkcstr driver will be regulating the current, couldn't you just remove the old MXDL driver/LED assm completely and run the pos & neg wires directly from the rkcstr driver to the battery?

rckstr driver will be regulating the current, so you don't use the MXDL driver. You're just using the board as a way to make the contacts to the batteries. It is BY FAR the easiest way to make contact to the batteries by using the existing board with its components removed.

The MXDL body is metal, and I've never seen it anywhere except DX. Maybe ask in the Buy/Sell/Trade section if you have to have it sooner, but DX is the cheapest place to get it bar-none.

pullbangdead said:
[quote author=RattleHead link=1213527746/0#6 date=1214011824]I'm not really familiar with the insides of the MXDL, but I've considered doing this build with a rkcstr driver aswell. Since the rkcstr driver will be regulating the current, couldn't you just remove the old MXDL driver/LED assm completely and run the pos & neg wires directly from the rkcstr driver to the battery?

rckstr driver will be regulating the current, so you don't use the MXDL driver.  You're just using the board as a way to make the contacts to the batteries.  It is BY FAR the easiest way to make contact to the batteries by using the existing board with its components removed.  

The MXDL body is metal, and I've never seen it anywhere except DX.  Maybe ask in the Buy/Sell/Trade section if you have to have it sooner, but DX is the cheapest place to get it bar-none.[/quote]

I see. Thanks for the reply. In that case, I think I'll order one of Kenoms Kryton barrels as the ETA for his group buy barrels is around the end of July.. Would probably take just as long to recieve anything ordered from DX.