Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

mW amount.

Why do you want to focus it...
What do you want to do with it....

Jerry

Well, when i point farther than around 5 meters away, the dot becomes around 5 cm wide, and made up of a bunch of tiny dots :I

if i point it at night at something around 100m away, the dot is extremely dim.

You could experiment with some lenses found in things like
cameras... binoculars... telescopes and see if you can focuss
the beam a bit better at a distance...
Be careful of reflections off the lenses...

Jerry

Sorry for the double post, but now i have yet another question. Will my eyes get hurt if i look at the dot that it makes from close range (>1m)?

yes it can. but it might not seem like it right away. so be careful.

michael.

Ash

Focusing: You may be able to pull off the front metal piece of your pointer and use a spanner wrench or small screwdriver to re-focus the laser to a sharper point.
Filter: Without a laser power meter and just putting a filter over the aperture, you won't know for sure that you have reduced the power to <5mW. You also don't know how much power that laser actually is to begin with.
You also don't know how much of that light is IR (808nm or 1064nm) from the pump diode (DX pointer is probably not IR-filtered).
Pointing a 30mW (with unknown IR) around a house with children or pets is not advised as the laser can reflect off of any glass surfaces or shiny plastic and do permanent damage to eyeballs in a fraction of a second.

Yet another question: The laser has like, a LOT of tiny dots around it, and i'm suspecting a dirty lens. For MY laser, how would I clean it?

Ash

Canned air. Try not to touch the lens at all. Even with a lens-pen, it's possible to put small scratches in the AR coating.

computer stores often have it for cleaning keyboards/fans etc.

or stationary stores.