Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MUST READ, Shipping issues!

Ill bet everyone on this site already knows that any laser above 5 mw will not be shipped to the USA or will be sold here. I dont like it because i was about a week from ordering some dx lasers but now I cant. I cant seem to find a solution to this issue. if anyone knows a place where you can buy higher that 5 mw lasers for a pretty cheap price than post here. Thanks for reading and be sure to vote in the poll. oh and sorry for caps...

Things

Same here in Australia, though I dont really care, if I really want a high powered pointer, I can get a high powered pointer! Though I have moved over towards modules now.

It's a 30+ year old law.  The internet became a great way to get around it very easily, but don't get indignant because they finally found it worth it/found a method to enforce it.  Don't be mad it's gone, be thankful we ever had the chance to so easily commit felonies with such a small chance of being caught, and almost 0 repercussions in the extremely unlikely event of being caught.

It was a good ride, fun while it lasted, but that ride is over now.  You can still import and possess perfectly legal >5mW lasers in the US, just not ones that are illegal to import.  Be thankful the US isn't like Australia yet: we can still own lasers, there is no federal law against ownership and usage, and it is actually very easy to legally import handheld lasers of whatever power you want in a pointer.

OP: There are perfectly legal lasers that you can order over the internet and have shipped to the US, from 1mW to 600mW, they are all available in handhelds.  They aren't as cheap as DX was, but they are out there.

What about the possibility of importing extremely underdriven "5mW" lasers?

Not that I need to worry (yet), im in canada.

Ace82

It is nice that you can get cheap powerful (especially green) lasers from over seas and all...

But he who would rather be cheap then any at all, most likely doesn't deserve the responsibility that comes with such great power. So the "cheap" lasers won't flood the hands of the common moron, but yes, has ruined the benefit of the less expensive (and quality) vastly availability for us, the limited exception who do respect them. ;D

What do you expect? Bite the hand that feeds, you'll stop getting fed. ;D

R-E-S-P-E-C-T !!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We don't need no stinkin imported lasers, we makes our own!

but it would be nice to have a hook up for cheap high powered 532nm ;)

This poll is useless because if you want something someone will be willing to sell it to you, legal or not.

well lab lasers are still available, and could be converted to run from primaries in the right host.

Justin

You guys are acting like it's impossible to get any laser over 5mW anymore... In fact, the only thing that has changed is that the existing laws are now being enforced more regularly and companies that have been skirting the law are being forced to comply. You can still import any FDA compliant laser device (in the US at least, Australia is a different matter) and there are companies that have been selling compliant lasers the whole time with no Customs issues at all. The issues that some companies are having with Paypal are a different problem, and this is why many companies, mine included, simply choose not to deal with Paypal.

You can still buy handheld lasers in any power level, as long as they are actually compliant with your country's laws. Customs is cracking down on illegal imports from overseas (China, Taiwan, etc) so look for a company that is based in North America and buy something which is FDA compliant (and has a valid accession number) so you won't have any problems. If in doubt, ask the seller if they can produce an accession number for your laser, as this will prove that the device is compliant.

I kind of like it because now idiots can't get greens from dx and shine them at planes. You really have to know more about lasers then you used to. Although I still would like DL's to be able to sell there lasers.

--hydro15